Royal Oak Lump

gmag

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just wanted to do a quick post about Royal Oak lump charcoal. Today was my first time using it. I got it on sale yesterday for $4.99/bag so I thought it'd be worth a shot. The lump lit quickly and held good heat. I liked using it better than Good-One lump and Cowboy lump for sure. Definitely worth a buy if you're looking for lump charcoal!

I don't smoke with RO lump but I do use it to start the chimney. I do however love grilling with it!

Even though I want to hate them for buying up all the Missouri charcoal producers , they do make really consistent lump . Red bag only .

I would use it all the time if I could find it. Walmart here in town used to sell it for 6.97 a bag but they stopped carrying it a couple of years ago.

Rest depot has red bag here all year round, but I actually prefer blue bag star fire, seems bigger chunk

I just wanted to do a quick post about Royal Oak lump charcoal. Today was my first time using it. I got it on sale yesterday for $4.99/bag so I thought it'd be worth a shot. The lump lit quickly and held good heat. I liked using it better than Good-One lump and Cowboy lump for sure. Definitely worth a buy if you're looking for lump charcoal!

Did you pick that up at Menard's? It is about time for their yearly sale.

I've been using RO Lump for about 6 months now and just for giggles I bought a 20 lb. bag of Cowboy. I have to say that I don't see a difference at all.

Just my personal experience.

Dave

I usedto used royal oak all the time, but last year made the sitch to B&B. I started finding too much garbage, almost a bad as cowboy.

I think i am going to see if i can convince the wife we need to buy a pallet of B&B lump, they are close enough i can borrow a friends trailer and drive down to pick up

remember that k mart also carries it. but they carry the green bag which is just fine, basically the same thing.

What size and where?

I use the red bag for my kamado, and have had no complaints at all. After about ten bags, I have not found a single rock, piece of insulation, or other trash like I find in most of the other lumps. Mostly good-sized chunks of lump, very little square scrap lumber. I got a chunk nearly the size of a football in my last bag, actually had to break it up.

The red bag is made in America from American hardwoods, like oak, hickory, and such. the other color bags are made in other countries from tropical hardwoods. I prefer native wood, and American regulations on what can go into stuff over the third-world-produced stuff, myself.

Is there more crap in Cowboy Lump? I notice a lot of people don't like it.

I have found the occasional string in RO, but not enough to keep me from using it. I've only used one bag of Cowboy, but I didn't see anything unusual in it.

I've noticed that RO smells better when you're waiting for the nasty white smoke to disappear, but after that, they seem the same.

Dave

I have tried RO (red bag) a few times I just bought a bag about 2 weeks ago since it quit snowing here in Ohio. I find a lot of tiny bits. The last bag I got had about 6-7 good size peices. The rest of the bag was shake, tiny little bits that fall through the grate at the bottom of my kamado or grill.

I have had better luck long term with Cowboy but I am likely going to try RO food service (GFS brand) because there is a GFS on my way home from work. hear roumors there are more bigger bits.

VA Dave, I've found all kinds of crap in Cowboy-insulation, rocks, plywood, wire, and Unidentified Farking Objects. Also, a lot of the Cowboy used to be 90% scrap lumber instead of wood chunks, I got a whole bag that still had the tongue and groove milling on it, I coulda snapped it together for a solid charcoal floor. :biggrin1: I haven't bought any Cowboy in a few years, though-someone on here said a while back that they had improved it considerably from the old stuff.

GOP - Thanks for the info.

Tongue and groove lump would definitely turn me off of it!

Dave

The best lump I've ever used is BGE. The problem is it runs at least $35/bag.

Back