Smoked Meatloaf

Res6cue

Knows what a fatty is.
I've been thinking of attempting to cook a meatloaf on the GOSM. I remember someone mentioning a "meatloaf basket" I have looked in a few bbq stores & Bass Pro near me with no luck. Anyone have a link or can help me out. Thanks

Never heard of a meatloaf basket. i just smoke my meatloaf on a piece of parchment paper. Works good for me.

I just form the beef into a loaf and smoke it right on the grates of the WSM.
Originally I wanted a basket too, but then I realized how much of a PITA it would be to get a meatloaf out of the basket that I got over it.

I just form the beef into a loaf and smoke it right on the grates of the WSM.
Originally I wanted a basket too, but then I realized how much of a PITA it would be to get a meatloaf out of the basket that I got over it.
Ditto here, no need for a basket

I start mine in a loaf pan, and pour off the grease as it cooks. About 1/2 way into the cook, it is firm enough to remove from the pan and place on the grate. It gets plenty of smoke. I've heard of others who cook in a foil loaf pan and punch drain holes in it so it drains as it cooks. I think smoked meatloafs are delicious. Good luck on yours.
Paperboy98

I just mold it and throw it on the smoker. If I have them I will use the disposable grill top liners. The meatloaf will have no prob staying together.

I have one of those baskets, and while it works nicely, I don't bother with it most of the time cause it's a pain to clean. However, that basket is real nice for grilling veggies in. Not a big basket, but pretty sturdy. The other thing with the basket is that it makes for a thicker/higher loaf which takes a little longer to cook. Much easier to lay it on a small piece of foil right on the grate.

I make them ahead of time and freeze them, then when I'm ready for MeatLoaf, straight from Freezer to Smoker...cooks up great..:biggrin:

I use parchment paper cut close on the sides, and longer than the meat loafs. That way the grease can drain off, and the long ends give something to lift with.

Thanks very much. Looks like the money I was gonna spend on the basket will be going to some other gadget!

Back