Just wonderin???

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
About biting ribs.
Unless I'm mistakin (imagin that!) all the teaching to judges in KCBS is that a bite should be taken from the side of a presented rib, all the pictures in a CBJ class show this. Explanations in print for scouring tenderness and taste indicate the bite mark of a properly cooked rib shall remain and the bone may dry immediately.
I have noticed in some of the rib pron from cooks that the width of the rib would not provide a good enough size bite to form a opinion on a score.
So what are your thoughts on how to proceed? Nibble your way down like an ear of sweetcorn until you have enough sample to make a informed score?
Take a good sized bite from the top thus taking the bite shape out of play?
Require all turn ins to be Hollywood cuts?

Judges how do you handle a skinny rib?

All opinions matter!
Ed

I have always taken 1 bite from near the end of a rib and another bit from near the other end but on the opposite side. I hope that makes sense.

7IsLL.jpg

Good question, I'm looking forward to the answers. My bite placement is very consistent from entry to entry. I do a center bite from the side, trying to get about 1/3 of the top face.

If I get a shy bite I rotate the rib downward to take a second bite of the face at that same spot.

E6iu2.jpg

From CBJ manual:

"Everyone has his or her own idea of what a good rib should be. However, when judging competition ribs you must take a few factors into consideration other than what you may feel is our favorite rib. You first must determine how well it was cooked. When eating a properly cooked rib, the meat should come off the bone with very little effort and only when you bite into it should the meat be removed. If the meat falls off the entire bone while taking a bite that is a good indication it is overcooked. When overcooked, the meat has a tendency to be mushy with little or no texture. Usually,when you take a bite out of a well-smoked rib that is properly cooked, the exposed bone will have a tendency to dry almost at once. Ribs should be moist, have a good flavor and maybe presented with or without sauce. They may be turned in with double bones or single bones and heavy meat on both sides of a single bone and in some cases a touch of loin meat attached to the rib bone. The latter may apply to a custom cut rib. In no way should it appear as a pork chop. Ribs may be spare or loin (baby back), but they must contain a bone when presented for judging. No country style ribs are permitted.Only pork ribs are permitted with no loose meat allowed in the container when being judged. Pigs have 14 ribs,and a complete slab should contain eleven to thirteen ribs."

At no point in the manual does it state to bite from a side. Further, utilizing statements such as "good indication", "tendency" and "usually" means that there are instances where those are not applicable.

20120922-comp-bbq.jpg

In the photo above, there is not much "side meat" on the sliced ribs, but no experienced judge would legitimately claim that there isn't enough meat to form an opinion on a score ...

From CBJ manual:

"Everyone has his or her own idea of what a good rib should be. However, when judging competition ribs you must take a few factors into consideration other than what you may feel is our favorite rib. You first must determine how well it was cooked. When eating a properly cooked rib, the meat should come off the bone with very little effort and only when you bite into it should the meat be removed. If the meat falls off the entire bone while taking a bite that is a good indication it is overcooked. When overcooked, the meat has a tendency to be mushy with little or no texture. Usually,when you take a bite out of a well-smoked rib that is properly cooked, the exposed bone will have a tendency to dry almost at once. Ribs should be moist, have a good flavor and maybe presented with or without sauce. They may be turned in with double bones or single bones and heavy meat on both sides of a single bone and in some cases a touch of loin meat attached to the rib bone. The latter may apply to a custom cut rib. In no way should it appear as a pork chop. Ribs may be spare or loin (baby back), but they must contain a bone when presented for judging. No country style ribs are permitted.Only pork ribs are permitted with no loose meat allowed in the container when being judged. Pigs have 14 ribs,and a complete slab should contain eleven to thirteen ribs."

At no point in the manual does it state to bite from a side. Further, utilizing statements such as "good indication", "tendency" and "usually" means that there are instances where those are not applicable.

20120922-comp-bbq.jpg

In the photo above, there is not much "side meat" on the sliced ribs, but no experienced judge would legitimately claim that there isn't enough meat to form an opinion on a score ...

That’s just the cook in you a whinin’ and complainin’.

From CBJ manual:

20120922-comp-bbq.jpg

Thanks your picture shows the exact issue, in this case there is plenty of good meat available to produce a fair score. BUT to do so one must bite from the top of the rib. While it only makes sense to do so, it kinda goes against KCBS pictorial and written verbiage on how to judge a rib sample.
I guess we should just get meat from what's available and judge accordingly????
Ed

I have been known while here at home base to stick said bone into my oral cavity from the end to get as much into my mouth as possible just short of chocking...
Ed

I have been known while here at home base to stick said bone into my oral cavity from the end to get as much into my mouth as possible just short of chocking...
Ed
dude this is a family friendly site....i dont want to know what your sticking in your oral cavity.:caked:

:laugh:

Thanks your picture shows the exact issue, in this case there is plenty of good meat available to produce a fair score. BUT to do so one must bite from the top of the rib. While it only makes sense to do so, it kinda goes against KCBS pictorial and written verbiage on how to judge a rib sample.
I guess we should just get meat from what's available and judge accordingly????
Ed
you better contact all the pork producers and tell them to grow us bigger ribs then. Because this is completely out of control of the cooks.

I already did, they thought it was a fine idea, immediately implemented it and sent the hogs with bigger ribs to China.
Ed

Back