• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any BGE owners out there have experience w/the hi-que fire grate?

insurroundsound

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any one use this grate on the BGE yet?
High-Que Fire Grate

If so, how does it do with low & slow cooks? It seems to be really good for getting the egg up to high temps for searing, but was wondering how it was for overnight cooks. N***dW**z had a review on it, but nothing I've found on the internet addresses low-temp cooking.

Thanks.

I'm looking to get this too. My understanding is that it doesn't clog up with ashes like the factory firebox grate does.

I wonder how many smalll pieces of charcoal slip through that?

I look forward to a review.

Hopefully somebody is able to chime in. I just replaced the bottom with a Lodge trivet after the previous one.

I looked at their wording on the website, and it seems to admit low temps are tough.

nakedwhiz is censored?

edit: ok, it's not. why is it censored in the first post?

I like! May have to get one myself.. Why or how would it cause low heat problems you are still controlling the amount of air entering the egg!?

Hmmm, I likey. here's what they say on their website.

"WORKS AT HIGH AND LOW TEMPERATURE
High temp cooking is easier now, but yes, it will still work at lower temperatures. Because the grate does not clog up and block air like the traditional grate, you must regulate the temperature by carefully adjusting the draft door and low temperature cooking is as easy as ever."

Never had a problem getting it up to temp for high heat cooks with the stock grate, seems like a waste of money to me. But hey, to each their own.

The lodge trivet is $10 at Bass Pro. This is $38 with shipping. Seeing that I don't have a problem with the original ceramic grate, if it should happen to break, I'll probably pony up the $10.

But I still want to hear a real world review.

G66, depends on what temp you're shooting for. I'm trying to get and maintain 750 for Neopolitan pizza. Not easy to get there and stay there. Been considering a blower, but none of the controllers I've seen can handle higher temps. Probes for these seem to all crap at 450.

Back