Pitmaster iq vs bbq guru

I think those two units are on different levels.

The IQ Pitmaster should be compared to the Nano-Q as the price is similar and have similar features.

If you are looking at the buget minded ATC's, dont overlook the Auber ATC.

I have one and love it. The best part over the other 2 is it has a bright LED display that tells you the exact temp of your pit, the other 2 dont.

And its more tuneable, but mine has worked perfectly right out of the box.

The most important thing with any of the ATC's is you need a pit that is sealed up well enough that you can put out the coals if you close all your dampers.

The other nice thing about the Auber is it uses a standard thermocouple as a temp proble, so you arent married to the propriatary probes that you have to buy for the other units.

I went with the pitmaster iq primarily because it can be kept in a waterproof box during the cook, with the hose coming out to the cooker. I was looking for an entry level device and considered the Auber and the NanoQ, but the pitmaster iq is cheap and met my needs. I am sure that the CyberQ is a great device, but it is over $400 when all said and done. I am sure I will upgrade to the CyberQ or the Stoker at some point so that I can monitor my pits from anywhere, but for now, the pitmaster iq fits the bill.

It does not have a temperature read out on it, but i would use a Maverick anyway so that I could monitor the pit from inside, so that is not a deal breaker for me. My pitmaster seems a bit finicky whenever I start a cook, but with in an hour or two it locks onto the temperature and holds it there. I have no regrets.

another reason I did not go with the IQ Pitmaster is when I was researching them, I sent them an emailing asking if it would work with my cooker, they said it would not.

When I asked them why they did not state a reason, just said it wouldnt work.

Now that I have my Auber, I know the Pitmaster would have worked. They were not willing to answer my questions any further so I decided not to go with them

that turned me off

It seems the iq is shot more at webers, i have one and its simple and works.

It seems the iq is shot more at webers, i have one and its simple and works.

My vertical is basically a WSM clone. I am sure it would have worked fine on it. But when they did not want to answer my questions I looked at other options

My vertical is basically a WSM clone. I am sure it would have worked fine on it. But when they did not want to answer my questions I looked at other options

I have both. Easy summary.............you get what you pay for. 'Nuf said.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

I went with the IQ becuase of the price. It is simple and easy, with no frills. I did have to re-solder the contacts for the temp probe and power on the main board as they came loose. I am a bit rough with my toys. Other than that, I have had no problems.

I don't know if I could justify something more expensive at this point since all any of them do is blow air when the temp gets too low. I have checked the accuracy of the temp probe and have been satisfied with it's accuracy.

I got the nano q and love it. Yeah I need to have another temp controller with it but I have that already. I didn't want the ique because it looks like I might break it is week. I am rough with my toys as well. I am sure they both work the Same.

I do not like the way the fan hooks to a WSM on the bbq guru units. I guarantee I would accidentally kick that fan and break it. I figure three cooks and it is done.

I use an iQue and it does exactly what I expect it to do, and have used it in the rain simply by hanging the unit under my BBQ table. And, I can kick the hose and not break anything.

CD

ButtBurner,
Sorry about your bad experience. Anybody here would know what to ship you if you said "WSM clone". Not that you didn't, could have been a brain fart on our part, or a monday. I'm here if you guys want to pm me, or my email address is john@pitmasterIQ.com.

The Pitmaster IQ has to be plugged into an outlet, right?

IIRC, the PartyQ operates on batteries.

I am planning to get one or the other of these some day (well, I have a B-day coming up in a little more than a month, so I am guessing that is when I will get one), but I haven't decided which to put on my wish list.

I went with the IQ becuase of the price. It is simple and easy, with no frills. I did have to re-solder the contacts for the temp probe and power on the main board as they came loose. I am a bit rough with my toys. Other than that, I have had no problems.

I don't know if I could justify something more expensive at this point since all any of them do is blow air when the temp gets too low. I have checked the accuracy of the temp probe and have been satisfied with it's accuracy.

funugy,
When we first started shipping the present generation (surface mount power/temp jacks sticking out of side of case), we started building them with a reel of power jacks from Adam Tech (p/n ADC-028-1). Turned out that these were defective and internal spring pressure would cause them to deform during the reflow process. Long story short, the manufacturer admitted they were defective, but a couple dozen made it to the field. They passed production test and worked for a while but the mechanical integrity of the solder joint was compromised and some failed. Most were recalled, repaired, and returned. Sorry you had to repair your own but it's cool that you can!

The Pitmaster IQ has to be plugged into an outlet, right?

IIRC, the PartyQ operates on batteries.

I am planning to get one or the other of these some day (well, I have a B-day coming up in a little more than a month, so I am guessing that is when I will get one), but I haven't decided which to put on my wish list.
The IQ works on 12VDC. It comes with a 110-240VAC wall wart, but a 12VDC to cigarette lighter plug is available for powering from a "jump box". If you go with a battery powered unit, consider a fresh set for each overnight cook, especially if it is cold or your cooker has a high air demand.

Back