Technique for discussion

It is a serious commitment of time and effort, and you do really want to be proud of the results. But I think that if you enjoy the journey, or the sail, the destination, that far harbor, is that much sweeter when you get there.

You've been sucking on the Wabo Cabo haven't ya!! :D

Yes, the journey is important -- that's why I didn't race when sailing. However, I have run a professional kitchen -- food I don't mess with. I do experiment but I have a darn good reason to change a technique before I try it -- ie. out of one spice I'll try another.

You must understand that I'm a foodie, too. It's gotta be good or I'm one UNHAPPY camper. I can stand marginal food at someone elses house or "adequate" 'QUE when eating out. But, I can't stand anything less than my best effort at home!! Sometimes it does come out like an experiment or a metaphysical mess but I start looking for where I farked up and don't do it again.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant! I understand where you're coming from but I don't treat my 'queing as an exercise to stretch my boundaries. Que is too damned important to be left to amateurs!! (I didn't say that, I DIDN'T say that ) :D

"You've been sucking on the Wabo Cabo haven't ya!!"

Damn, busted again!!

"Que is too damned important to be left to amateurs!!" (yes, you said it)

Now we're all busted.

You must understand that I'm a foodie, too. It's gotta be good or I'm one UNHAPPY camper. I can stand marginal food at someone elses house or "adequate" 'QUE when eating out. But, I can't stand anything less than my best effort at home!!
I second that emotion!

Hey! Where are y'all going?? :? Can I come along? I love journeys and POOPIE! :wink:

This may heresy but I try to tame the greasy/dry issue by precooking the brisket in the oven in a airtight foil wrap (as close to airtight as I can get).
You need a good brisket and a good rub so the fat from the fat gives out it flavor. This also seems to "open" the brisket to the smoke. I haven't had any complaints.

precooking the brisket in the oven in a airtight foil wrap (as close to airtight as I can get

I understand what you're saying but it smacks of "boiling the ribs" syndrome. :D

Do what you gotta do to get good brisket. We just finished a small one off at lunch today. I cooked it yesterday while doing chores around the house -- I use foil during the last couple of hours and don'g apologize for it -- lets me get up to 200 without drying it out (I'm doing flats).

Back