Adding my UDS to the club

lvn

Reaction score
IMG_3261.jpg
Just wanted to say thanks to all you geniuses for teaching me the ways of the UDS. ITS UGLY AND AMAZING! Built mine early spring, not sure if its stopped cooking since. Everyone is amazed at how awesome, tender and juicy the food turns out after their initial reaction to "What is that a burn barrel?" and then "You're cooking in that thing?" So here's a few pics.

I threw a Pork roast on...
covered in Plowoys Yardbird, injected with Apple Cider vinegar, Worstechire, brown sugar, salt and coca cola. Forgot the pics when finished cooking but OMG AMAZING!!!!!! sorry for the blurry pics, I worked all night and had a few beers at 7 am lol.....

IMG_8786.jpg
IMG_9529.jpg

Last edited:
I'd scarf on anything that came out of that drum. Nice job!

Wait till it's worked in a bit. It just gets better.:thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: lvn
Yeah thanks...I just walk by it and can smell that sweet aroma even a few days later. Its definately getting nice and seasoned

Looks good, what was your intent with the super long bolts that hold the top grate ?

:thumb: Looks great! Can you show a shot of your hinge? I am thinking of ways to do that to mine.

Yes do tell. I agree it is ugly but in a good way!

Dont have a shot of it right now but i bought a cheap grill at walmart. I used the hinges off that. I took the hinges off the base and attached to grill top. marked the holes and drilled then attached base hinges to UDS. if that makes sense. There are two pins that connect the two with cotter pins on the ends.

I will try and get some pics for you guys.

Looks good, what was your intent with the super long bolts that hold the top grate ?

I use two grill grates to double my pleasure. I put the pork butt on the the lower grate and just didnt put the top grate on. THe longer bolts are so its just easier to put the grate back on when im cooking because if they were all short ones they have to line up perfectly or grate could fall thru. At least thats what i have found.

AND THANKS ALL!!!!

I was thinking about painting it to look like R2D2....LOL.

Wouldnt that be AWESOME???

Yup pretty much the same set up I use only my domed lids are from previous models when I can find them. The hindged flip lids are the only way to go. Nice work my friend.
jimsUDS008.jpg
UDS019.jpg

Yup pretty much the same set up I use only my domed lids are from previous models when I can find them. The hindged flip lids are the only way to go. Nice work my friend.
jimsUDS008.jpg
UDS019.jpg

I really like number 2, what is the little aluminum shelf sticking out the front for ?? With the socket head cap screw peg sticking out below it ? Really liking those shelves :).

Thanks for posting! Still haven't gotten around to making mine, but I will get there.

I really like number 2, what is the little aluminum shelf sticking out the front for ?? With the socket head cap screw peg sticking out below it ? Really liking those shelves :).

The aluminum thing is where I mount my dual thermometer (with velcro) and the socket thing is usually where I hang my tongs.

Man that is one ugly ass drum for sure! I'm sure it'll churn out some great Q though! Those upper bolts are long enough to skewer a turkey upon. Thanks for posting and may the Q be with you!

Back