Ribs - Meat up or Down in foil?

YokeUp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
That is the question.... and what is the reasoning behind either meat up, or meat down, pros and cons.... your input is greatly appreciated.

I do meat up but I think most do meat down. Not sure if it makes any difference but I have had better success with meat up so I stick with it.

Once wrapped, we start with meat side down, then flip halfway thru wrap stage.

I lay out the foil, put some magic stuff on the foil, meat side down, magic stuff on back side, and wrap. and we keep it meat side down during that stage of the cook.

Meat down so it can swim in that sweet goodness you added to the foil.

I always went meat up thinking that the fluids would wash away my bark on the presentation side. I may have to rethink this based on the responses.

We've tired both. We settled on Meat up. Don't want the ribs boiling in the liquid inside the foil. Most other cooks I talk to do meat down.

Interesting. I always do meat up, the logic I use is that the liquid in the foil will essentially steam the ribs for the first hour or so before flipping over to let the meat soak up the juicy goodness... May have to rethink, especially given the most recent rib placing...

I don't foil anymore, unless a slab is being stubborn as far as getting tender is concerned, but when I did, it was meat down to put the meat down in the mixture, but I have re thought it a little. I used to get bark that was way too dark when I foiled, and I wonder if it wasn't because of the heat from underneath hitting the meat down in all that sugar.

I think the Ique guys foil meat side up, but I will check my copy of Wicked Good when I get home.

I'm with Q-Dat, left the foiling behind years ago but when I did I did meat side up so I would not risk burning and foiled loosely so it would just get the flavoring from steam. I now rely on my rub, sauce and wood selection to provide any enhancement to the natural flavor of the meat. Any racks that are behind come turn in time are just going to be what I serve the family and friends that attends the event so no loss there.

Back