Ranch Kettle Ribs

que_dawg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I scored a Weber Ranch Kettle on CL last weekend and I want to give it a test run this weekend with some ribs and chicken. Can some of you guys that have used a Ranch Kettle give me some tips on fire management and cook times. Any help will be appreciated. I am not used to indirect grilling with ribs, I would normally cook the ribs on my WSM or my Lang 48, so I need a few pointers on adjusting.

It is a Weber kettle and pretty much does its own thing unless you close all the vents. With all your hardware experience, I am confident you will do fine. There is a thread here if you search for "ranch kettle offset."

I would start with a chimney full of long burning briquettes (I use Rancher/Stubbs) and add several wood chunks - all piled up on one side near front for convenience. Place hinged section of grate over fire so you can insert wood/charcoal as needed. Bottom vents half open, top wide open to start. You might have to rotate meat every so often away from fire, depending on how full it is and how hot you get the fire. If you foil your ribs, you can always transfer them to oven during the foil portion while you cook chicken. I have cooked 3 spares/3 BB's at once without any problems.

Take pictures of the beast!! My Ranch Kettle has been sitting in the barn for years, totally neglected, but I know it is there when I need it!

Back