• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Did me some COOKIN' yesterday!! (PRON YO!!!)

Food all looks great! Question for ya- I see you got two racks rocking in your UDS. D you find the food on the bottom rack cooks faster/differently than the top one? Do you switch tthe racks halfway through? Just curious as I recently added a second rack to mine but haven't used both yet.

Regarding the fish, you might be able to make good use of it in something such as a cioppino or a seafood mornay-if you aren't familiar look it up its awesome!

Dude - you just gave me SMOKE WOOD! Awesomeness. Just got a new freeze / fridge for the garage that I get to dedicate to Smoke. Once my new pit arrives on the 10th of May I have a feeling I'll be doing a few big cooks and getting stocked up on some pre-cooked / vacuum sealed goodness.

Having never cooked and then vacuumed sealed meat for longer than 6 weeks or so (some reason my BBQ gets eatin quickly) about how long are you able t keep yours? Anything special you do to your freezer?

I just recently found a bag of PP that was around a year old tucked away behind some other stuff and it reheated just fine. Usually the stuff never lasts that long. I don't do anything special to the freezer except stuff it full. :wink:

I do need to defrost mine soon. The ice build up is starting to creep in on my storage space yo!

Food all looks great! Question for ya- I see you got two racks rocking in your UDS. D you find the food on the bottom rack cooks faster/differently than the top one? Do you switch tthe racks halfway through? Just curious as I recently added a second rack to mine but haven't used both yet.

Regarding the fish, you might be able to make good use of it in something such as a cioppino or a seafood mornay-if you aren't familiar look it up its awesome!

Yeah the bottom rack definitely cooks a little faster than the top rack due to the direct heat. I always swap the racks out about 1/2 way through the cooks on whatever I'm doing. Unless I'm doing something big like a ham, turkey, etc., I almost always utilize both racks and so, have to swap em. This is ESPECIALLY true on higher heat cooks. Sometimes, if I keep things down around 225ish, it's not as big a problem, but I still swap em.

Looks great, man. Bought a big pro comp cooker this year, and still prefer the UDS for shoulders and brisket. Drums rule! And yo, that stacked freezer bag pic looks like a drug bust. So funny.

IMG_7089_zps724d6984.jpg

Awesome pic!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oh yeah.

I will pull the meat off of all 6 of these, portion and vacuum seal and freeze just like I do PP. I like to add just a little AJ and more seasoning to the meat (I do this to PP too) after pulling it before I bag it, which helps when reheating. We use pulled chicken for all sort of stuff (enchiladas, tacos, nachos, chicken salad, etc) and having it readily available, portioned in the freezer is TOO handy. Reheat the same as we do PP.....drop it in boiling water.

I've also done whole birds and then carved them and vacuum sealed and frozen them that way too. I try and flatten them out so that they reheat evenly. Good stuff.
Nice cook! Just got the vacuum sealer and I am sure it will pay for itself soon!
Jed

Looks awesome! When it's all said & done do you boil the bird bones for homemade stock? Makes amazing soup, creamed chicken, etc...

Looks awesome! When it's all said & done do you boil the bird bones for homemade stock? Makes amazing soup, creamed chicken, etc...

I did this a year ago and made about 6 or 8 quarts of stock. Amazing stuff.
Oddly, though, I still have about half of it in the pantry. I just don't think to use it much, plus I've not made a lot of soups lately. I got on a kick awhile back where I was making soups and stuff so I made stock, then I got off the soup kick.

I just do probably a dozen and a half chickens a month so I throw most of the carcasses away.

Back