View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Lots of answers, and only 1 talked about which sanctioning body. Not all competitions, not all sanctioned competitions, are the same. Some have multiple turn-ins which can require more meat, and in some MUCH more meat because of the other styles of judging. That said, it does sound like you're referencing either KCBS or FBA, I'll guess FBA as you're in Florida.

In FBA you'll generally fill the box with meat, usually a little more or a lot more than you would in KCBS, with KCBS's garnish allowance... That could require you to cook a *little* more. For example, in KCBS many get away with 6 1-bone slices on their bed of greenery. That same 6 pieces wont work for FBA; you're more likely to have between 8 to 12 in there...

I tend to fill my KCBS box like I would my FBA box, so for me I cook the same, but you'll see it's a little more than most above.

I usually cook 4 butts, because I want 2 money muscles and I want 2 butts cooked to perfection. We cook 2 briskets because I push them very close to over-done, and hopefully at least 1 will be perfect. 4 racks of ribs, mainly because we like eating the leftovers here. I could do with 3 racks... 16-20 chicken thighs, for us, has always been PLENTY. I will tell you I've seen Bub-Ba-Q (as seen on BBQ Pitmasters) come out of their trailor, trip, and dump their entire chicken box in the sand. Luckily they had enough made so that he went back inside, wiped the box, put another 6 or 9 thighs in there without garnish and ended up 2nd in chicken and GC'd the competition.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote