How long to expect a pork butt to smoke

J

joeysmac

Hey everyone...thinking about smoking a butt for the first time this weekend on my newborn UDS, and wondering how long I should expect it to take. From what I've read on the forum I think I'll be smoking it at around 240 and bringing it up to 160 or so, wrapping it until 200, and letting it rest back down to 160 again. I'm going off memory, so my temps may be a little off, but I just need a ballpark time frame for a decent sized Supermarket butt? Thanks!

Plan on 90 minutes per pound.

But the important point is...it's done when it's done...

You're going to wrap a pork butt while it's cooking? Why not just boil it? :)

Mine seem to take about 60-90 minutes a pound.

Wrap it *after* you smoke it. Wrapped = no smoke. Might as well have it in the oven.

Wrap your butt at 160 degrees if you want. It's not going to take on any more smoke at that point anyway.

I don't wrap mine at all, until I put them in the cooler. But if you want to do it, go right ahead and do it. There are many people who do and they are champion smokers...

The last 8 pound butt I cooked on my UDS at 250 degrees F took 8 hours. YMMV. No foil, ever!

Last edited:
Wrapping in foil while its on the cooker will help it cook quicker but if you dont have any time constraints...

I rub it and let sit for an hour or so while my mop sauce cures. Smoke at 180-200 for 6 hrs mopping every hour. Wrap and crank heat to 250 until internal is 190+. Takes an additional 3hrs or so. Remove from smoker and let rest for at least an hour then shred and enjoy. 190 has to be achieved, thats when it will be the most tender

You're going to wrap a pork butt while it's cooking? Why not just boil it? :)

Mine seem to take about 60-90 minutes a pound.

Wrap it *after* you smoke it. Wrapped = no smoke. Might as well have it in the oven.

well, I cook my pork to 160ish, and foil it, add my usual liquid goodness and stick it back in the pit, intilll it passes the poke test, I allow about 12 hours for any butt, unless it's huge, you do want it to rest for a while anyways.

seattlepitboss is right, you could just stick it in a oven after wrapping, I'm just used to KCBS rules, no ovens allowed.

Did 2 butts a little over 7 lbs a piece that other day a 250* . Pulled them at 190* ,no foil, took about 8 hrs. I always plan the cooking time at 90 min. a pound .

Back