oops pictures
th_IMG_3377.jpg

th_IMG_3381.jpg

love it. looks like antique deep sea diving equipment. geronimooooo!

Being from Louisiana I am for LSU all the way, I even have a purple UDS, I have posted a picture of it before. I had the LSU smoker at the office cooking ribs one Friday and the postman just happened to delay delivery until time to eat!! It so happens he hates LSU (Damn him) So he wanted me to to build him a Florida Gators UDS, It went against everything I believe in But I did it anyway. Here is a few pictures of it for all the Florida brethen. You cant see it but it has a 3/4 ball valve on a 24" pipe on the back.

Did ya have to make it so purty for a GATOR fan?:mrgreen:

doing it right

Hey guys. I'm new to BBQ smoking and to this forum. First I would like to thank everyone it this forum you guys have helped me out a lot. I've randomly read through this post for the past month or so to get some great info and ideas. Well last Friday I found a 30 gal drum and made me a smoker. Now this is my first drum smoker I got the Brinkman for Fathers day. So I'm really new to this. I've only tried chicken so far. And I didn't screw it up. It was good. LOL I have a question and if anyone could give me some info that would be great. Is it ok to use Aluminum in the UDS? I know something has been mentioned or I heard it somewhere. But I've read so much in the past month or so I can't get it right if you are or not able to. Anyone with any info. Thanks

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm not the handiest guy around so bare with me through all my questions, I will post pics shortly, I'm starting my build on Friday. I just received my donor lid and cooking grates tonight. I'm fairly sure they are from the first Weber grill ever made and have been sitting in a shed out in the country for a loooong time. What is the best way to clean old grill grates and the inside of the lid? I think I remember reading spraying with oven cleaner and sealing up in a garbage bag and leaving them out in the sun for a day. Does this work? is there a better way?

Ive been known to nail my grills to a sawhorse and go at them with a wire wheel on my grinder... works real fast

Hey guys. I'm new to BBQ smoking and to this forum. First I would like to thank everyone it this forum you guys have helped me out a lot. I've randomly read through this post for the past month or so to get some great info and ideas. Well last Friday I found a 30 gal drum and made me a smoker. Now this is my first drum smoker I got the Brinkman for Fathers day. So I'm really new to this. I've only tried chicken so far. And I didn't screw it up. It was good. LOL I have a question and if anyone could give me some info that would be great. Is it ok to use Aluminum in the UDS? I know something has been mentioned or I heard it somewhere. But I've read so much in the past month or so I can't get it right if you are or not able to. Anyone with any info. Thanks

I use aluminum all the time for drip pans and such. What were you planning to use it for?

I was going to use a large thick aluminum cooking pot for the lid. I don't remember where I saw your not suppose to use alum while your smoking food. I just don't want to make anyone sick. I was confused because I always see it being used to cook on a stove or whatever. I thought maybe it was because of it being an open flame or something. The pot is just an over sized pot they would probably use at a restaurant or something. It would work because its 19in wide and my drum is 18 1/2. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.

Aluminum is fine if it's not to close to the fire. It melts at a lower temp than steel. You'll need some kinda exhaust though. It's galvanized you don't want to use around food. I once used aluminum for divider plates in the firebox on my offset smoker and when I looked in there a few hours later I said to myself where are the dividers? In a pool of aluminum on the bottom of the firebox was where they were.

Woot! Got some donor parts from a fellow brother today in the mail, gonna get my UDS finished this weekend, PRON to follow!!! Totally excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You go Le we're waiting on the pics and your 1st smoke. If you need anything else please ask we're all here to help each other. Lord knows your doing your part. So thanks for your service to our country.

At first I was trying to find an old Weber lid. I was talking to a friend that said he had a commercial grade Alum pot so I figured I would try that. I just checked to see if it would fit. Its about 19 1/2. Has a little over hang but seems to fit snug. So the only thing I have to worry about is it melting all over my food. LOL That would suck! Does anyone know what is the melting temp is? Just to have an idea and so I can keep and eye on it. Its thicker than a regular pot you would use to boil noodles. I kinda let it cook took long the chicken was good but the wings were kind of crispy. I like them like that though. I smoked a Roast for my girlfriend but it was sort of tough. Like I said I left it cook to long. What kind of Beef roast is good to use on the UDS? I can't get the pics to upload so I'll try later.

if your smoke temp is 220 260 at the grate /meat the dome will be the same no?if so your temp .. will be ok alum takes much more to melt just my thinking

At first I was trying to find an old Weber lid. I was talking to a friend that said he had a commercial grade Alum pot so I figured I would try that. I just checked to see if it would fit. Its about 19 1/2. Has a little over hang but seems to fit snug. So the only thing I have to worry about is it melting all over my food. LOL That would suck! Does anyone know what is the melting temp is? Just to have an idea and so I can keep and eye on it. Its thicker than a regular pot you would use to boil noodles. I kinda let it cook took long the chicken was good but the wings were kind of crispy. I like them like that though. I smoked a Roast for my girlfriend but it was sort of tough. Like I said I left it cook to long. What kind of Beef roast is good to use on the UDS? I can't get the pics to upload so I'll try later.

Google is your friend...:p
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_melting_point_of_aluminum

Water boils at 212f so I'm sure the pots good for way over that.

HEADRUSH

Kind of a pita to get the 22inch cooking grate past the one inch lip ot the lid isnt it?

Yankee here...need some help! I got a reconditioned drum from a reputable place but it seems that they painted the inside. I did not pick this up and my brother-in-law got the wrong one. So...that being said, can I just sand off the paint in there instead of having to brun the whole thing? I know the only thing done to it was a paint job on the inside. There aren't any liners or anything.

If I do need to burn it out...what exactly do I need to do? Just build a huge fire inside w/ wood?

Lemme know...thanks!

You know, it just goes to show you, I get all these cool parts, and then the 22 inch cooking grate that I went to fetch at wally world for 12 bucks is GONE!!!

Looks like i'll be hitting up ACE True Value first thing in the morning and picking up a replacement one for more than what I wanted, but dang it I want to finish the cooker!!!!

What I was originally going to cook didn't get thawed out in time so it looks like the first cook is going to be something small and simple like ABTs or something.

Looking to get pretty proficient in cooking with this bad boy with what's left of the summer because it looks like i'm up for another trip to the sand land in october, and i'm going to ship this thing over with me!!!

Thanks guys. I'll have to take a pic and try to get it on here. With the pot on, my UDS looks kinda funny. Looks like the back of a head with a hat on. LOL Its because of the over hang the pot has. I think I just thought of a nice paint job. Well maybe not nice but funny.

Back