Competitions BBQ Sauce

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just wondering if your not using your own sauce, what BBQ Sauce out there is the best to use in comps? I have tried Blues Hog with mixed results as well as Head Country. Any other sauces out there that are worth using in competition BBQ?

There is a ton of them out there, and it is just a matter of opinion on what is good and what is not.

I have found, just my 2 cents here, that if you can get a local made one, and then try it straight first, then try a couple of modifications to it, you will get good results.

Try one, and then if you want try some fresh ground onion, a little garlic, etc... than if you really want to get adventursous try a couple of spices... depending on the meat you are cooking, be careful doing this mod... sometimes, a little will go a long way, or just the opposite, will clash with something in the original sauce.

It is all just trial and error....

Good luck.

Just wondering if your not using your own sauce, what BBQ Sauce out there is the best to use in comps? I have tried Blues Hog with mixed results as well as Head Country. Any other sauces out there that are worth using in competition BBQ?

Those are the big two around here...

Sa-Mokin' is doing well for some guys around here as well...

I tried Slabs sauce in Bixby on brisket and did okay, I'll use it again this weekend Claremore...

Is this A-1 idea new? Up untill 4 or 5 weeks ago I'd never heard of it before. Maybe some drunks at the bar putting it on brisket ... but mixing it with BBQ sauce is new to me.

super smokers, that's what i'm talking about
havent had much luck with their saucues on the KCBS. side.
One thing I have noticed is the sauces with sugar in them do better than those with HFCS in them. The supersmokers you buy has HFCS

Is this A-1 idea new? Up untill 4 or 5 weeks ago I'd never heard of it before. Maybe some drunks at the bar putting it on brisket ... but mixing it with BBQ sauce is new to me.
Not new to me. I have been using steak sauce on brisket for a couple of years and with exception of Harpoon where I tanked Vinny it has been good to me:icon_blush:

Russ and Franks Sassy is good on Pork
Jim Daddy's Hickory is good on Chicken.

We add some extra flavor to our sauces never use them straight out of the bottle.

It's more fun to make your own. We pulled a few recipes off the web, some spicy, some sweet. Figured out which of each we liked the best, mixed the two together and have been happy ever since. The perfect sweet and spicy sauce.

We have tried almost every sauce variation out there--with very mixed results.

We even used Blues Hog (which I consider the one of the best sauces in the world :lol:), but we did not impress the judges.

So, we have moved back to the major regional BBQ chain's commercial sauce and just tweak it a bit.
Walk--Walk--Walk :lol:

Works for us.

Being "creative" with the sauce was fun--getting "paid" is even more fun.

TIM

love to hear what the pro's use, but I personally only use blues hog, red blues hog, and head country with mods on all of them.

I only did 2 contests, DQ'ed on brisket once, timing, and walked with 5th on ribs(out of 47, I think), so take that with grain of salt.

good luck, just stay way of kraft bbq, masterpiece, famous dave's(as I heard) should be good to go!

I been using the 0.89 cent Kraft. Man the chit is awesome:roll: Mix it with some ketchup and wow it is unstopable. :roll::roll:

Did you ever think maybe its not the sauce. Alot of peolple use the blues hog and head country and do well.

Back