How much would you charge?

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
How much would you charge for an armadillo egg stuffed with cheddar cheese and jalapeno? I say $6 per. MrsMista says that's too high.

What do you say and why?

I know prices are higher in CA, and I haven't been there for a couple years. From a consumer angle, I think I would pay $4 here and maybe $5 in CA.

What's it going to cost you in sausage, cheese and japs to produce said Armadillo Egg?

I think it's much more practical to just figure out what your acceptable profit margin is and calculate everything that way than trying to figure out how much someone would be willing to pay.

It's much better, in my book, to have a reasonable margin and sell lots of them than have a really high margin and take the chance of not selling them.

Example: Yesterday my wife and I drove up to "Apple Hill" for our annual trip for apple products. It's a nice leisurely drive and a chance to relax. Stopped at one place and they had some bbq glazes. They looked really good. A bunch of different flavors. But at $8.00 for a 12 oz bottle it just didn't make sense to try.

Knowing these are "bulk" made and not really their recipes. Just bought bottles and then slap their labels on, I knew they had a fairly decent margin. But instead of making a reasonable profit on them they were trying to hit a homerun. At $6.00 a bottle I would have bought all six flavors at $8.00 a bottle I bought none.

I talked with Jimmy Brod about this when he was snarfing down on my Slow Burn pig candy at the Royal. He wanted to buy some and asked me how much? I said I'm not sure. He said to figure your expenses and multiply times 4.

I talked with Jimmy Brod about this when he was snarfing down on my Slow Burn pig candy at the Royal. He wanted to buy some and asked me how much? I said I'm not sure. He said to figure your expenses and multiply times 4.
FYI Jimmy's waiting on his shipment and is very disappointed that he hasn't received it yet

$3 unless they are really big. That's just Texas for you.

Farmer John 12oz sausage stuffed with cheese and japs. Sausage costs $2 each.

I was picturing an actual egg sized piece of meat. For 12oz, $6 is definitely reasonable. $7.50 might even be.

I'm with Bill...deep fry that sucker and I'd fly across the states for it.

I think six bucks is a winner for this product. 12 oz. sausage and japs that winds being about $2.50.

Tell Mrs. Mista you got this price from somewhere other than your arse!:twisted:

To start with, I would definitely make it worth my while or not do it. Unless you are making a bunch of them and selling a bunch of them, what is the profit margin? What is your hourly wage during the week where you currently work? If the food is being processed/cooked on the weekend and should that hourly wage be greater?

I have thought that armadillo eggs were smaller than 12oz. The ones I make are no bigger than a chicken egg. Sounds like you are referring to fatties that I make.

All that said, a pound of brisket/pork/turkey at most of our local BBQ joints runs about $10 or more per pound, therefore $6-$8 sounds fair. But remember that these places depend on volume and that needs to be considered.

You might even consider slicing them up and making three sammies (4oz meat each) which will sell for $6 each.

I would charge more, maybe even $10 per piece. Between the egg, jap, and cheese we're looking at 1 lbs. final product, no ?

I sold 3 of them and a tri-tip. I wouldn't have even done anything that small but I was already cooking for another gig so it was no extra saweat to toss them in. I sold the tri-tip for $21.

That is always a great deal when you can just add to the cook, heck it doesnt take any longer to toss on an extra brisket. I always toss in an extra brisket or two or some chickens whenever I fire up the smoker. On most occasions I give that extra away to the neighbors or cleaning lady or co-workers.

Smoked turkeys are right around the corner, they are another messy smoke. I will probably take the weed burner to the smoker following Thanksgiving.

Back