Which Kind Of Butchers Paper Do I Want To Use

Oldhoss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am cooking some butt tommorrow and while at the grocery store I asked for some butchers paper as I want to try using it. The stuff I got is a flat reddish colour and has a shinny layer on one side. I had a thought that this may not be what all you guys are talking about for use in smoking food so I did a little search here and now see there is white, brown and red butchers paper. Furthermore that this shinny material may be poly-something or other.....perhaps Oldhoss ought not to be using this. What is your opinion on this issue fellow food nuts.

Is the "shinny" stuff like parchment? (Wax?). I've been told not to use that kind if it is. You would want un treated, food grade butcher paper.

that sounds more like freezer paper. I use the big roll from Sam's and it does not have a shiny coating.

You got freezer paper.

If you can't wait, you can use brown paper grocery/food bags in a pinch. If you want to order some plain uncoated butcher paper, they have it at uline.ca , white or red in various widths. I've seen other posts stating 18" is a bit narrow. I'm planning on ordering some 24".

You got freezer paper.

If you can't wait, you can use brown paper grocery/food bags in a pinch. If you want to order some plain uncoated butcher paper, they have it at uline.ca , white or red in various widths. I've seen other posts stating 18" is a bit narrow. I'm planning on ordering some 24".

The stuff from Sam's is 18" and it is too small for a large brisket. I always get the smallest briskets I can find since I don't have that many people to feed so it works for me. If I do a larger one I have to wrap it in 2 directions. When that roll is gone I will definitely get a wider one.

I am going to be doing my first brisket soon (full packer in my Mini WSM). I will be bending it in an inverted U shape to fit it in.

I guess need butcher paper wider than 18" then. Where can I get this?

Actually when I paper it, I'll just throw it in my gas oven at that point so I can lay it flat. It shouldn't matter what I cook it in after I wrap it right? It doesn't take on any more smoke flavor and the meat is shielded--by the paper--from the dryer environment of the natural gas oven.

I am going to be doing my first brisket soon (full packer in my Mini WSM). I will be bending it in an inverted U shape to fit it in.

Actually when I paper it, I'll just throw it in my gas oven at that point so I can lay it flat. It shouldn't matter what I cook it in after I wrap it right? It doesn't take on any more smoke flavor and the meat is shielded--by the paper--from the dryer environment of the natural gas oven.

I got mine as Sams as well. As far as temp theres paper in a gas oven, to hot and well itll smolder and ignite. Depending on the size of the packer it will shrink quite a bit and could lay flat on the grates, or try putting an empty can under the brisket to make more room.

It should be fine in the oven. Butcher paper does breathe and it takes on a little bit more smoke. It will not retain moisture like foil but it will hold enough to keep it from drying out. Make sure you put it in a pan because the paper will leak. I would guess that restaurant supply places should have them but the ones in my area do not stock them.

As far as temp theres paper in a gas oven, to hot and well itll smolder and ignite.
I thought the ignition point was 350. Is that correct? Does it make a difference that it is in a gas oven versus electric? I would hate for someone to ruin a brisket.

I thought the ignition point was 350. Is that correct? Does it make a difference that it is in a gas oven versus electric? I would hate for someone to ruin a brisket.

I've read that natural gas ovens are a more dry environment than electric ovens. I've read some people like hybrid stove/ovens because of this; they want gas for the cook top and electric for the oven--personally I'd love a natural gas & induction hybrid cooktop with an electric oven :) (3 way hybrid.. but they don't even exist ! lol)

Is that food safe paper? What if they put some chemicals in that paper that doesn't go well with food?
Product Description said:
The word kraft means strong in German. Kraft papers are strong, economical, durable papers intended for packaging, wrapping, dunnage and shipping. Kraft paper may be bleached or unbleached and is run in a variety of basis weights depending upon the application it is made for. The unbleached paper is a rich brown color sometimes referred to as natural kraft. This color is a byproduct of the chemical process (sulfate) that helps give kraft paper its strength. For white kraft, mills employ a bleaching process that removes the color from the fibers. This extra step increases the cost of bleached kraft paper, which is why it sells at a premium to natural. Kraft papers are USDA/FDA approved for use in food industries. Measures 765' length by 24" width.

just pick up a roll of parchment paper until you get the butcher paper

I use it, it works just fine

its made to cook with afterall

as far as the kraft paper goes, we use that at work as packing material. Some of it is really thick, I dont know how good it would work for wrapping a brisket with. I was going to try it but decided not to

The ideal is 40lb natural color butcher. It can be really hard to find.

I've read that natural gas ovens are a more dry environment than electric ovens. I've read some people like hybrid stove/ovens because of this; they want gas for the cook top and electric for the oven--personally I'd love a natural gas & induction hybrid cooktop with an electric oven :) (3 way hybrid.. but they don't even exist ! lol)

Natural gas and propane ovens provide a more humid environment than electric - that's why electric ovens are preferred for baking (and why hybrids have gas ranges and electric ovens), bakers don't want the added humidity.

Back