First UDS cook suggestions

Friction33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok. I have my Frankendrum UDS seasoned and dialed in. Looking for suggestions for my first cook. Want to break it in right. Doing it this weekend so time won't be an issue. TNX

Do a butt and some ribs.

Also a fattie for a snack while the butt and ribs cook.

Ribs, butt and fattie. You cant go wrong.

You can also take an onion, cut it twice to make it fan out like a bloomin onion (Dont cut all the way through it). Set it in foil and fill the middle of it with ranch. Wrap it up and its ready to snack on in about 45 min, or when it gets soft. If you like onion you need to try it.

I would stick with something fatty like pork butt to get some seasoning on that thing.

Guess I will stop by the store tomorrow on my way home and grab a butt and maybe stuff for a basic fattie. Should be good enough to get a good seasoning started. Tnx guys. I will be sure to post a few pics of the cook. Can't wait to fire this monster up.

A Spatchcock chicken is always good for a first cook on a drum. I started out simple to learn how it cooked.

Guess I will stop by the store tomorrow on my way home and grab a butt and maybe stuff for a basic fattie. Should be good enough to get a good seasoning started. Tnx guys. I will be sure to post a few pics of the cook. Can't wait to fire this monster up.

Basic Fatty recipe- remove plastic place on grill

Last edited:
Doesn't the plastic add flavor and keep it all bound together during the cook??? :laugh:

A butt is really the best thing for a first cook on any smoker. It is very forgiving plus the extended cook time really lets you learn temp management on your new cooker. A fatty is also a good idea since it will be done quicker & you won't get too impatient wanting to experience the smokey goodness your new UDS is going to produce.

Back