Seeking advice for weekend cook

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Would kindly appreciate any thoughts on this...

Need to cook a brisket packer (about 15 lbs or so, low & slow) and 10 - 12 racks of spare ribs (3-2-1 method) in my WSM 22 to be served for dinner Friday night between 6:00pm and 7:00pm. Here's what I am thinking: smoke the brisket to about 160 IT, pull it, foil it, and put it back on the smoker. Do you think it would work if I pulled the brisket off the smoker and finished it at 225 in an oven for the last couple of hours while I loaded the ribs onto the cooker? Thinking I could then pull the brisket from the oven hopefully in a couple hours when it reaches probe tender, let it rest, foil it back up, and keep it warm in a faux cambria until the ribs are done and it's time to serve.
I'd really appreciate any ideas or feedback on this.

Thanks
FM

is that the only smoker you have available to you? if so.. then yes that will work with the brisket... can you fit 10 racks of ribs on a WSM?

Wrapping is the same as putting into an oven.. at that point.. heat is heat.. while i wouldn't reccomend wrapping the brisket at all..

Jeez, you guys are quick! Thanks for the great advice. Will definitely be utilizing rib racks. Any thoughts on using water in the water pan? Or any thoughts on whether or not I need to flip the ribs from top rack to bottom rack to account for any significant temp difference between racks?

Thanks again!

Cook everything at 300 Deg F. Start the brisket at 8 am wrap it at 12 it will probe tender before 2 pm open the foil and let it vent for 1 hr. then into a 170 deg oven. Put the ribs on they will finish in 3-3.5 hrs no foil needed to cook 'em, Foil and hold in the oven till dinner

Back