Bacon - 201 pounds worth - pr0n

Well, I'm envious. I've been wanting to smoke some bacon too, so last week I drove across town to Whole Foods to find an uncured pork belly. They were sold out. :sad:

Oh, well, I will try again.

Anyway - it all looks awesome! :thumb:

Just curious that's about 12# per belly. I would love to find some that lean. Mine run about 18# per belly. Yours look great.

captndan - vast majority of these were about 12 pounds a side give or take. Two of the sides that I bought from a butcher down by my in-laws were closer to 9 pounds a piece. They are leaner, meater and trimmed up a bit nicer.

Update - we are smoking about 1/2 of it tonight and the other 1/2 tomorrow evening. I've got my 3 sides in the fridge forming the pellicle as we speak.

More pictures to come later on tonight!

As a former central Illinois guy myself, nice job so far. Can't wait to see the finished goods.

Update - 8 of the 17 sides have been smoked (one was ate fresh so we have 8 more to do tomorrow night).

Here are some pictures from the evening.

I had to get creative to get my 3 sides in my fridge once I did the rinse.

null_zps1770c37e.jpg

Rib racks loaded

null_zpsecf860eb.jpg

null_zps176c1d9f.jpg

My WSM and my buddies freshly built UDS

null_zps2b1491fd.jpg

Flying Old Glory

null_zps0ae0f2e9.jpg

Homemade walnut handles that another buddy made for me...

null_zps21216c71.jpg

null_zpsaad7c827.jpg

One hour into the cook - had to take a sneak peak

null_zps39e14982.jpg

Cooling - mix of cherry and hickory gave it some good color (looks a little dark with the lighting in my garage and the flash on my camera)

null_zps79ec755b.jpg

60ish pounds or a little less than 1/3 of what we have to smoke

null_zps4096d6ac.jpg

Slicing these up tomorrow and smoke the other 8 sides. :becky:

Very nice Westy... reminds me its about time I do another batch... :wink:

Cheers :clap:

WOW, looking great, never thought of smoking bacon. Now that is something I can get into!!

My favorite thread so far...

Come on already, I need an update.. more pics.. how dose it look sliced... when are you shipping my samples???:becky:

Back