2nd competition coming up. First time brisket is on the list, Question?

DeepElemCue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I entered my first competition in June. The only thing we had to cook was ribs and chicken. Out of 20 teams I took 6th in chicken and 2nd in ribs. This next competition I have to do ribs and pork shoulder (which I am pretty comfortable with) and brisket (which I've been practicing the last few weeks). I really want to put some burnt ends in the box and there are no rules stating I have to cook the brisket or shoulder whole (backyard competition). Would you separate the point and flat before or after cooking? If separate, would you start the point first and then put the flat on or at the same time and just rest the flat while the burnt ends are finishing?

I would cook the brisket whole and once flat is probe tender then separate the point, cube the point and put it back in the cooker for a little while with some Au jus or sauce to make the burnt ends.

I would cook the brisket whole and once flat is probe tender then separate the point, cube the point and put it back in the cooker for a little while with some Au jus or sauce to make the burnt ends.
only way to do it!!!

Back