• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcoal issue.

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been using Royal Oak and the minion method in my UDS for about a year now. The last couple of times I've had difficulty getting the temp up. I figured it may have been damp charcoal but I am at the point I am ready to try something else. Maybe lump? What type and brand to you guys use?
Thanks, David

have you tried mixing wood in? or you usually run straight charcoal? lump charcoal is good.. it burns hotter but doesn't last as long as brickets..

How about Kingsford blue? They're cheap, and consistent. And you might even like it.

kingsford blue is a decent option.. RO is a good option too.. they make lump also.. RO does.. You have a certain faction of the brethren that bashes Kingsford blue.. I have never had a problem with kingsford Blue bag..

I have been using Royal Oak and the minion method in my UDS for about a year now. The last couple of times I've had difficulty getting the temp up. I figured it may have been damp charcoal but I am at the point I am ready to try something else. Maybe lump? What type and brand to you guys use?
Thanks, David
Sometimes the problem with briquettes is that they ash over and don't give off as much heat. I like to use natural briquettes that are made from lump such as the kingsford competition. Natural briquettes burn hotter and produce less ash than regular briquettes do. They're not as hot burning as lump but are more consistant and even burning.

Last edited:
I usually use Royal Oak lump in both my smoker and in my grill. If I'm only smoking (ie smoking bacon) then I use Royal Oak briquettes because I find they're easier to manage at low temps.

I have been using Chef Select charcoal in the big smoker and let me tell you - before you even put any meat on the smoker radiates BBQ smells. I have had neighbors come by and ask what I am cooking and what smells so good before the smoker even comes up to temp and I put wood chunks in.

I have been trying the lump in the smaller smoker and I like the clean burn / less ash mess. I don't think it would be practical in the big offset but for the BWS Party it has done well by me.

I've been happy w/ my recent switch from KBB to the "new" Cowboy lump.

I get a few long cooks (butts/ribs @250-310) in the WSM from one load of lump w/o having to clean out the ash.

I (or, the WSM I should say) doesn't have the "inconsistent" burn problem some report w/ lump.

The minimal amount of ash is a great advantage w/ lump.

Ash is an issue for me also on long burns. I think I am going to raise the basket higher off the ash pan so it won't choke the air.
David

Do you have a "do it best" near you? I really have been enjoying my chef select briquettes from them. You can order 40 pound bags and have it shipped free to a do it best store near you. and if you use the code goldrush you save 10%

Do you have a "do it best" near you? I really have been enjoying my chef select briquettes from them. You can order 40 pound bags and have it shipped free to a do it best store near you. and if you use the code goldrush you save 10%

No, unfortunately not.

I use lump from HEB or RO lump

Lol it's gotta suck for people that don't got HEB! Everything in that store is awesome. I just snagged some dayum fine Cab choice for $.99#.
Bludawg have you tried the new central market oak lump? It's good stuff. I like the mesquite also because of the big chunks. It's the only charcoal comparable that I have found compared to the wicked good that I can't get anymore.

The best store In the world. HEB= Here Everything's Better.
HEB stands for H.E butt company and distribution. Ours has sushi bar, 200 ft long cooler of craft and name brand beer, Wine forever and almost almost every known national brand but HEB has their brand right next to it and its cheaper and better. Fresh seafood market, butcher on hand to cut anything you might want. They pick me stuff for competition all the time. I got a buddy that works there and I just text him what I need. Wonderful fresh organic produce, eye candy and this is just a fraction of what's great about it.

FWIW I had two bags of RO briqs that would not come up to normal temps. They were the first bags I bought of the season and I tried to cook wings on my kettle. I could not even get to 300. I just chalked it up to them being on a warehouse floor or something for the winter. I have never had a problem since with the RO.

Back