I built a Mini WSM while I'm waiting (excessive pRon)

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my MJH to get shipped (maybe another week or so) and so I decided I would build a mini WSM to get me through withdrawals until the new unit arrives. I started with this stuff.

P1000004.jpg

As you can see I used the IMUSA tamale steamer, kind of a pain in the arse. I had to bend the top over and down (this step took longer than all other steps combined). For any future build I would try the Vascondia brand. I used the steamer insert to mark a pattern on the bottom of the pot.

P1000006.jpg

After it was all marked up, I used a 1/4" drill to get some pilot holes.

P1000008.jpg

The I changed to a 1/2" drill and hit all the holes again.

P1000009.jpg

I also added an aluminum control rod (held in place with E-clips) for draft, and an aluminum pie plate for a larger ash tray.

P1000010.jpg

I then added a ash barrier to insure a continuous flow of air even after a lot of ash drops through. It's a canned chicken can with 8 1/2" holes drill in it.

P1000011.jpg

I then used some expanded metal (cold rolled) cut into 3" tall strips to build a cage for the lump. I'm not completely convinced that this step was necessary but that's what they had on the Weber site so I built it.

P1000012.jpg

Fill the cage with Lump.

P1000017.jpg

On goes the pot.

P1000013.jpg

Then I put in a aluminum pie pan as a heat defuser. I'm not completely convinced that this is necessary either since I put the steamer tray back in on top of the pie pan.

P1000014.jpg
P1000015.jpg

On goes the cooking grate.

P1000016.jpg

Started the fire, and then add some food for a test run. I sprinkled some yardbird on pieces of chicken breast and then wrapped in bacon. Let run for an 60-90 minutes (until they were done). Forgot the after pic :crazy: but this is what it looked like during the run.

P1000021.jpg

It ran a steady 260-270 for about 4 hours. This load was a half arse dump in the cage. I'm pretty sure I can get 5-6 hours with a full, well placed load. I gotta say this is a really fun/cool project, and when it's done it actually works very very well. I am amazed at how steady it held temps, it was a windy, gloomy day and temp was between 55-60f. I did set it out of the direct wind.

Very fun, you should try it!!

Attachments

• P1000020.jpg
    P1000020.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
So, my 18 year old was assigned cleaning up the shop this week, did a great job then asked "dad, what is our next project"? I showed him the SJ, tamale pot and other hardware and said "the next project is yours, build a mini WSM any way you want". Can't wait to see what we get!

Sorry Superlazy, it took a while to get all the pics loaded (and for me to figure out how to load them)

Great build. I love mine. Great little wonders of cooking, aint they!

I'm planning on doing a pork butt either tomorrow or Saturday on my new toy!! I'll try to remember the after cook photos next time!

Back