Whole Frozen Pigs @ Costco

RevZiLLa

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I visited my local Costco in Richmond, VA last Saturday and saw something strange in the frozen section. It turned out to be a whole, dressed but not rubbed, frozen young pig for smoking. I think it was about $2.79 per LB, but am not sure. The head and feet were still attached.

What do you guys think? Has anybody tried it yet? Way too big for my smoker...

Wow! Do you know what size pigs they had? I will have to check my local Costco to see what they have. Thanks for the heads up.

I think it was between 50 and 75 pounds. I was in a rush and didn't pay as much attention as I should. I did pick it up off the rack and it was a little heavier than my 4 ball bowling bag with 4 15 pound balls in it.

Went through today, in a rush...have to check next time! I'm sure the wife wouldn't suspect me trying to hide it in the cart.. :)

If you haven't seen this Whole Hog video it is 40 minutes of awesome.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/1535389"]http://vimeo.com/1535389[/ame]

Kool, a new unit of measurement: how many bowling ball equivalents? Most of my briskets are 1 BB, my butts are 1/2 BB, the whole hogs I've cooked are 3-4 BB. This could get crazy!
I think it was between 50 and 75 pounds. I was in a rush and didn't pay as much attention as I should. I did pick it up off the rack and it was a little heavier than my 4 ball bowling bag with 4 15 pound balls in it.

Bowling balls were my first obsession before bbqs. My first year after HS and I had my first real job I bought 8 balls and a 300 dollar pair of shoes. Long gone are the balls, replaced with a COS, UDS, WSM and a kettle.

Kool, a new unit of measurement: how many bowling ball equivalents? Most of my briskets are 1 BB, my butts are 1/2 BB, the whole hogs I've cooked are 3-4 BB. This could get crazy!

That all depends on whether you throw "man weight". At 60 years old, I have dropped down to 15. But I did toss a 300 Sunday :becky:

havn't been lately. last year they had whole goats. or half ones.

That all depends on whether you throw "man weight". At 60 years old, I have dropped down to 15. But I did toss a 300 Sunday :becky:

No shame in throwing 15. I've done quite a bit of research based on how much more hitting power you will get from 16 over 15 and how much more wear and strain you put on your body from throwing 16 over 15. For most competitive bowlers who are bowling 20+ game tournaments it's advantageous to drop the pound and be "fresher" longer than add few pins extra you gain from staying at 16.

Sorry to go so off topic.

Yup....Pig in a box!

This is a 20 lb'er but comes frozen in a box. Thaw and cook. They are very good!

Last edited:
Lord have mercy that looks good. Me and my mom recently got a Costco membership card, if I ever see one at ours I may have to pull out the credit card that came with the membership and beg for forgiveness from her when the bill comes. :laugh:

And I wonder if goat is at mine.... I have been wanting to try goat for a very, very long time.

I know the hog market is up but it sounds pretty expensive! I've bought them on the hoof and prepped myself. Does sound convenient though for those not set up for the dirty work.

You are right about buying a whole live hog sir if you don't mind the work of slaughtering. Plus you get all the tasty nasty bits that you won't get with a processed hog. I need to start cruising Craigslist and stop thinking about heading to Costco this evening!

Back