Brisket method question

I am having a hard time finding the brown butcher paper. Has anyone tried using white butcher paper?

Bludawg method it is. Sounds clean and low drama.
Ditto on the brown, or white paper question.

I think the issue people have with white paper is it's been bleached to make it white. I'd think the brown or pink stuff is probably preferred.

There is a place here in Austin that sells the pink/red paper. ABCO paper company. Google it.

I use white, it is fine. The pink is also treated. Doesn't matter for those two. I don't like the brown, I feel it parts a taste to the meat

What would be the difference in a foil wrap (Texas Crutch) or wraping with butcher paper. Do both methods reduce cook time?
I don't want to spend 15-18 hour cook on this one, but don't want bad results ether.
Any advice or insights on this would be helpful.

Foil traps moisture in and creates a braising affect on the meat. Butcher paper acts as an insulator, traps heat and reduces cook time with out the braising affect. I much prefer butcher paper over foil!!!

Two thing that are overlooked in most of the foil/paper wrap discussions is:

Option #3....... you don't have to seal the foil. A small opening on the top seam will prevent braising, still allow smoke flavor to get in, and won't soften the bark on top. This works on ribs, brisket, chuck roll and butts.

Option #4 ....... making a shallow foil boat to hold juices, and using a paper over-wrap. Paper can get soggy. I've never had a pouch tear and once the paper gets saturated with some grease it will hold liquid for the most part.... but one of these days I can see one failing.

1-22-13019aaa.jpg

Option 4A ...... placing your paper wrapped meats on a shallow foiled pan makes clean-up easier.

1-22-13012aaa.jpg

If you're as careless as I am, that day comes real fast. And hot brisket drippings burn. And make a mess of the kitchen floor.

I am having a hard time finding the brown butcher paper. Has anyone tried using white butcher paper?

I've used white butcher paper for years now. I've been buying big racks of the stuff from Sam's Club originally for finger painting, and then one day I ran out of foil when doing a cook of butts, and so I had a couple in foil, and a couple wrapped in butcher's paper because hey, why not? I enjoyed the butcher paper much more. Works fine for me. Use it for my briskets, and have been doing that for the past two years or so. Something like that anyway.

Back