• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs and Chicken on the Drum

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The ribs turned out great, even though the lighting makes them look dark. I think I'll stick to cooking the chicken in my offset. the skin was too soft even though I cooked it at 325. Oh well, it was still good!

Attachments

• IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 122
Looks great! I notice the same thing with chicken skin.. it's tough to get bite through chicken skin even at 325*. Perhaps more heat or you need to find chicken with thinner skin.. lol

My wife have settled on what we call THE ONLY WAY TO DO CHICKEN.
Smoking makes for soft skin and soft meat. Better for pulled sammies.
Indirect is better, and 325 should be good for any size bird, but the skin just never gets crispy.
I have put the chicken right over the coals, and it is even better than indirect, but it produces tons of smoke that can change the taste of the chicken. You also have to keep the temp low-ish b/c it's too easy to burn the chicken.
What's the answer? Put it over the coals but raise the grid higher than a standard grid, maybe to 6 inches above the coals. I keep the dome temp at 350, but I'm sure right over the coals its much hotter than that. Much less smoke is produced, much less chance of anything burning. And the skin is PERFECT.
For whole birds I'll use a vertical roaster and just leave it for an hour; but for pieces I'll flip them after 15-20 minutes, and total cook time is 30-40 minutes.
I have Big Green Egg so raising the grid is easy. I get the grid up to the level of the felt gasket, 3" higher than normal. And it's perfect chicken every time.
Hope you try it!

Back