• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

**Bark on a Backwoods??**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Seem to be hearing that a bit since I got my BWS Gater.

So I went and did a dry pan cook @250* and took 36 lbs. of bone in butts and let them cook to completion without foil for @ 8 hours.

Used two racks, starting the larger butts on the top rack for 2 hours and then swapping the smaller on top for another 2 hours. Butts staggered on the grates during the first 4 hours of the cook.

Here they are 4 hours in, one rack lower (below door thermo) position.

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

Took these to 205 for pulled pork sammies for a co-workers retirement party later in the week.

IMG_6132.jpg

I usually foil and don't really care about bark, but I gotta say, these would make a bark lover blush, and I was pretty satisfied myself.

Wet or dry, the Backwoods does it!

Fuel mizer too!

IMG_6133.jpg

I don't know how y'all guys use them petroleum thingys :sick: in your pits to cook yourself and others BBQ. Nice lookin cook though. Definitely better bark when you Run a insulated vertical dry.

I don't know how y'all guys use them petroleum thingys :sick: in your pits to cook yourself and others BBQ. Nice lookin cook though. Definitely better bark when you Run a insulated vertical dry.

I could do a better job at keepin' the K's up and the grooves down.

I have to admit, it was a major concern for me. ran mine today for the first time, ribs on top rack gave me a mean bark(will post pics tmr). this was with the water pan half full. Im looking forward to brisket and pork on it to see what I can produce.

Thanks for the post, in my search on this precise subject last week or so, I couldnt find bws bark pics

Good looking cook Brian, I expect nothing less from you though

Those are some pretty butts you got there :oops:

Was the pan empty or did you have crumbled foil or similar for a heat sink?

Those are some pretty butts you got there :oops:

Was the pan empty or did you have crumbled foil or similar for a heat sink?

This cook had some broken firebricks in the pan and it was foiled over.
I took a couple universal grates and cut them to size so they fit directly over the waterpan.
Then I use an aluminum baking sheet foiled over to catch the drippings. The sheet pan has @ 3/4" lip and is almost as long as the waterpan. I do this cooking wet or dry and it makes emptying the waterpan and the resulting grease mess much more easy to deal with.

I have to admit, it was a major concern for me. ran mine today for the first time, ribs on top rack gave me a mean bark(will post pics tmr). this was with the water pan half full. Im looking forward to brisket and pork on it to see what I can produce.

Thanks for the post, in my search on this precise subject last week or so, I couldnt find bws bark pics

Looking forward to your pics!

Back