BIG RED has arrived!

J-Rod

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My new BBQ toy has arrived- BIG RED! Thanks to lots of folks here posting about these cookers and the recent sale at Amazon, I decided to pick one up and see what all the hub bub is. My UDS is usually my go-to, but I wanted something that was insulated and had cast iron grates and could also do high heat for pizza etc. Have to say I'm impressed with the construction of this thing. Seems to be really well made and sturdy and should last a long time. Assembly was very easy and everything fit together well. I seasoned her up last night with some lard, yep real lard:-D, and now she's ready to go with a nice shiny grey/black color on the grate. Now to decide what will be the first item cooked on Big Red.... Any suggestions?
IMG_3073_zps3e0bd479.jpg

If you put a brisket on now, you could have it for supper. Set the temp at 300*F and walk away.

Redhot seasoned hers last night. Sucker held 400 degrees for 8 hours on a single (Not full) load of lump...

If you load that thing up with lump, you can get 24 hours out of it. Not that you would need it. I have cooked several thing on one load of lump.

Fire it up to 700 and fry some Detroit politicans.

Krispy Kilpatrick for starters.........

Redhot seasoned hers last night. Sucker held 400 degrees for 8 hours on a single (Not full) load of lump...

Wow. Well, I bought a sack of Cowboy yesterday and was amazed at how well this thing retains heat. Since I grill and smoke a lot, that was another factor in me buying an insulated cooker. Hopefully she'll be more fuel efficient than the UDS.

Back