Brisket - taking it to the next level

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so I have done about 5 cooks of full packer briskets. My results have improved as my experience has increased. My most recent cook was, according to my wife, "momma slappin' good". I wasn't that happy with it. It was tender, tasty, good bark, etc. I wasn't sure until just now what was missing.

It hit me - it wasn't moist. It didn't have that nice sheen and glistening moisture when you cut it.

I started thinking about it and have figured it was the quality of the meat itself. I have been purchasing them from Walmart as I didn't want to spend a bucket load of money while I was learning. Excel was the meat packer and of course the package was USDA inspected but was not graded.

So I am going to go to a local butcher shop - they do custom cuts on site from the whole cow - today to see what the price per pound of a packer will be.

In addition to price what sort of questions should I ask since I assume I won't be able to see a finished product? (I know a cut like brisket they tend to do on demand.)

I will have more questions as this thread goes forward but I will stop here for now.

Brian

I found a local butcher that stocks choice packers, about the same price as wallmart

the one that cuts from their own cows, is 2-3 times the cost, and they dont grade.

Wallmart around me, typically has select grade, but if not graded at all, id find a place you can get choice or better it will have more marbling and should be moister if cooked well.

My local HEB has Ungraded Swift full packers. Ugly suckers. Sams club has select at 2.19 a lb and choice at 3.19 a lb. They had 1 prime yesterday, it was over $9. The price tag was ovef $110.

I went to walmart and got a 12.9 lb USDA Choice cut by Excel for 1.19!

If anyone has access to Gordon Food Service Stores they have Pretty good looking Full Packers they were Choice Grade for about $2.50/pound

Just select it the way you would select a good steak. Make sure it has good marbling of fat throughout the meat and look for a thick end on the flat opposite the point. Good luck!

Unless you know the supplier, buying no-roll meat is always a gamble. Excel Choice and Select packers both produce good results. But, if there is no grade (no-roll) then avoid it. Local butchers typically cut off the best animal they can buy, they have to charge a little more, and try to go with better quality. You may want to find out how long the carcass has hung, as beef tastes better after a couple of days.

Back