You favorite pork butt dry rub

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
There is a three-ways pork neck event coming up, and I am looking for some new inspirations.

Three small pork necks without bone without speck are already waiting in the fridge, and I want to give them three different rubs.

The first one will get lemon peppered, there is just no way around it!

The second one should be a little on the sweet side, something like

• 6 tbs brown suggar
  • 3 tbs coarse sea salt
  • 2 tbs black pepper
  • 1 tbs chili powder
which is a mixture I just found looking around a little.

For the third one I wanted something with cumin, maybe something like

• 1/4 cup sweet paprika
  • 2 tbs white sugar
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tbs black pepper
  • 2 tbs cumin
  • 2 tbs chili powder
  • 2 tbs coarse sea salt
  • 1 tbs cayenne
but it may as well be a decision between the last two for the second pork neck, because my wife wants to try a typical Austrian "Schweinsbraten" seasoning (featuring caraway) on the third one, which I am dubious about.

So what are your suggestions for such a three-ways pork neck happening?

Hands down the best rub for pork that I have tried so far is Plowboys Yardbird.

For a home made rub this is pretty good also,

3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon hickory smoked salt or 2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

Hands down the best rub for pork that I have tried so far is Plowboys Yardbird.
And that's the strangest thing, everybody seems to like it on pork, except us. I have Yardbird on my breakfast scrambled eggs and omelets nowadays, didn't try it on poultry yet.

Best I have found for pork
Butt Glitter Sprinkle
* courtesy of PItmaster'T"

8 tsp paprika
3 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery seed
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder

My recipe:
8 parts Splenda
2 parts chili powder
2 parts paprika
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/2 part salt
1/2 part black pepper
1/8 part cayenne powder (optional)

My wife doesn't like the cayenne.

Sent from my Android phone.

Best I have found for pork
Butt Glitter Sprinkle
* courtesy of PItmaster'T"

8 tsp paprika
3 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery seed
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder

A tad OT, but has anybody tried this on some baby backs?

I may need to put a flame suit on, but I am starting to doubt the need to use any rub on a big pork butt. The flavor doesn't go more than, at the most, a half inch into the meat, so when you slice it or pull it, you're not getting a lot of that flavor in the meat you eat.

Pork butt is just such a big, thick chunk of meat. I focus on getting it cooked just right, and then serve it with lots of flavors, whether it is a PP sammich, or some carnitas style tacos, or Cuban style roast with beans and plantains.

Am I alone on this?

CD

+1 I am slowly buying into this CD. I wonder how the bark would be affected. I know I am using less and less on ribs and still gettin great results

I may need to put a flame suit on, but I am starting to doubt the need to use any rub on a big pork butt. The flavor doesn't go more than, at the most, a half inch into the meat, so when you slice it or pull it, you're not getting a lot of that flavor in the meat you eat.

Pork butt is just such a big, thick chunk of meat. I focus on getting it cooked just right, and then serve it with lots of flavors, whether it is a PP sammich, or some carnitas style tacos, or Cuban style roast with beans and plantains.

Am I alone on this?

CD
No suit required. I completely agree. I've been working on my injections for flavor deep in the meat, but rub doesn't go far in butts. When pulling for sandwiches, tacos, whatever I'll add a little rub after.

Am I alone on this?

CD

I think it depends. If I want the bark that goes with it then I use a rub like playboys. But you can make it sing with just salt and pepper and then make it to fit your application with the final assembly. Mexican, Cuban or whatever.

I only started barbecuing less than a year and always used smokin guns. How do the ones mentioned compare?

+1 I am slowly buying into this CD. I wonder how the bark would be affected. I know I am using less and less on ribs and still gettin great results
For a real eye opener try a few bones without any seasoning. I did some testing one time and my control was peanut oil (which I mix with my rub) and nothing else. I was surprised how good these plain ribs tasted.

As for the rub I put on butts, last time was:
  • 1 Tbsp black Pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Rosemary
  • 1/2 Tbsp Coriander
  • 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika.
  • 1 Tbsp Ancho powder
  • 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
  • 2 Tbsp Garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp Onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp Mustard powder

I mix this with enough peanut oil to make a slurry and smear that on the butt so it is not a dry rub I guess. As others have mentioned, due to the thickness of the meat, the flavor from the rub has little impact on the results.

1. Bad Byron's butt rub (no sugar, so pay attention to the bark development.
2. Plowboy's yardbird

Am I alone on this?

CD
Truth be told I'm S&P man on everything but my Bones and E NC sauce for my Butts & solders,HEAT & MEAT, OLD SCHOOL BABY!! :thumb:

Back