• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PatioDaddio 4-Layer Chicken

K80Shooter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Saw where PatioDaddio did a video on his 4-layer bbq chicken, it looked so good that I had to try it.

I'm here to tell you it was the best chicken I've ever ate.

1st I brined the birds for 6 hours in kosher salt, apricot nectar and montreal chicken.

Next I patted dry and coated inside and out with McCormicks sweet & smokey rub. Sprayed with oil and sat them on cans with apple juice (could'nt find the small cans of apple juice so I used pepsi cans, tight fit)

Put them in the egg with indirect heat for about 1 hour at 350-375 degrees, removed when therm. indicated 170 in the thigh.

Sauced with some glaze I have been working on and threw them back on the egg for about 15 min.

Removed and cut in half then applied some more glaze ( notice the shine :bow:) plated then serverd.

Thanks PatioDaddio!

Attachments

• DSC00899-2.jpg
    DSC00899-2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC00900-1.jpg
    DSC00900-1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC00903-1.jpg
    DSC00903-1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC00904-1.jpg
    DSC00904-1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC00910-1.jpg
    DSC00910-1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 439
Looks amazing! In fact, the entire plate does. Got any leftovers? :p

Not to derail the thread, but I can't help but drool at that biscuit on the plate. Any chance you could post a link to a recipe (or detail your method)?

I haven't done beer can chickens in a while. I think I may have just been inspired. Great looking food!

Looks amazing! In fact, the entire plate does. Got any leftovers? :p

Not to derail the thread, but I can't help but drool at that biscuit on the plate. Any chance you could post a link to a recipe (or detail your method)?

I'll have to get my wife to answer you on the biscuits, they are absolutly amazing. She's been making them for me for over 30 years.

Damn that looks good! What is the glaze? What is the ratio of the brine?

Check out this link for the brine and chicken recpie http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/07/4-layer-barbecued-game-hens.html

For the glaze google "Jazzy Hog Compition Barbecue Glaze", I used this as a stater then added/changed things till I got it how I wanted it.

Looks great! I like the protein to starch ratio on your plate...

Looks great! I like the protein to starch ratio on your plate...

Me too!!!!!

I might add that these are only cornish game hens that we had in the freezer. Next time I'm going for the full size chicken :biggrin1:

Wow! Those birds look outstanding. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the recipe. I totally
pulled that one out of my hat when I was under pressure to come up with something
for McCormick. Oh, and that video? I shot two hours of footage just to get that. The
editing took about four hours. I hate video! :mmph:

Thanks again,
John

I'll have to get my wife to answer you on the biscuits, they are absolutly amazing. She's been making them for me for over 30 years.

They certainly look amazing. I've been working on perfecting a biscuit recipe the past few years and I seem to have plateaued at "pretty good"; but I keep looking for improvement. I'd love to give those a try if she is willing to share a recipe, or even a key tip or two.

Thanks.

They certainly look amazing. I've been working on perfecting a biscuit recipe the past few years and I seem to have plateaued at "pretty good"; but I keep looking for improvement. I'd love to give those a try if she is willing to share a recipe, or even a key tip or two.

Thanks.

I'm sorry it's taken so long, we've been real busy with grandkids and our towns Christmas parade but here goes:

Homemade Biscuits

Ingredients;

3 cups self-rising flour (I use White Lily)
1 cup reduced fat buttermilk (do not use store brand milk, it’s important to use quality milk).
½ cup Crisco shortening

Directions;

Add flour to mixing bowl. With your hands hollow out a place in the flour kind of like you are making a bowl. Add buttermilk and Crisco. Knead with your fingers to obtain a spongy consistency. Pinch off desired amount of dough and shape into a ball by rolling in cupped hands (keep hands dusty with flour). Flatten dough to about ½ inch thick and place onto a greased cookie sheet (I call them bread pans). Make a slight indentation on the top of each biscuit to keep them from cracking when they cook.

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees (pre-heat oven as you are making the biscuits)
Place pan into oven and cook till golden brown. I do not go by time when cooking biscuits, I go by the color. Once done remove pan from oven and turn biscuits upside down in the pan (this lets the bottom crisp just a little and gives them just a slight crunch when bitten into). This step also affects how the biscuit taste’s (at least to me it does)

Tweak the recipe to get the results you’re looking for. Always use quality ingredients, it makes a huge difference. It takes practice, do not judge the first batch that you bake, wait till you’ve baked them a few times as to get everything right. Hope you enjoy them!

Back