Curry Tutorial#1

It occured to me that a list would be useful...for when you hit the market/speciality shops.

Seeds- buy them in preference to powders.
They are intoxicating when they are fresh ground, and once ground they start deteriorating, so the powder that was ground who knows how long before you buy it, well, it is close to sawdust in comparison.
Curry Powders: Same deal, buy fresh from speciality stores.
I hit an Indian place once every few months and they have spices in containers, I buy it by scooping it into plastic bags and transfer it to little glass canisters with rubber seals, small sizes.
That way it is always fresh when I use it, and go buy more fresh when I run out.
Mortar and pestle.
This is the best tool, it is so useful.
Not only will you be able to grind seeds to powder, you can control the particle size somewhat, great when you want a pepper steak or pastrami seasoning!
It also allows you to bruise herbs and make garlic rosemary EVOO marinades for example, and pound Galangal which is a SE Asian type of ginger that is like wood!

I also have an electric coffee bean grinder dedicated to spices but that is a luxury and useful only if you use a lot of spices.
Spice List
Fennel seeds
Cumin Seeds
Coriander/Cilantro seeds
Fenugreek seeds
Mustard seeds -yellow and black
Cardomom seeds Green and Black
True Cinnamon Quills- I buy bulk bags, grind some as needed.
Cloves whole
Dried chilies mixed varieties_Asian:Wiri Wiri/Birdseye/Thai long/Chinese very long/Scotch bonnet/Serrena/cayenne/Ghost..and flakes and powders are useful too.
Nutmeg
Candlenuts
Saffron
Curry leaves
Kaffir lime leaves
Bay leaves
Dessicated coconut
Cans coconut milk and coconut cream
Palm sugar
Tamarind Juice (in containers these days)
Fish Sauce
These are the the things I use and always have stocks of, but if you are not bitten by the bug yet, just buy as you need and slowly build up.

After much discussion and sorrow expressed by Aussies hearing that there were people in America who never had a curry, it was pointed out that many may live in area's where the spices are just not available, and so it was voted that an easy curry powder recipe may have been an essential step for those in such a situation.
The following recipe assumes you can procure a good quality Indian curry powder, and for sure you could online.
You can buy a quantity and make curries and devilled eggs and spreads, it is so handy.

Recipe 2
Curry Goat

Same recipe for beef,lamb or chicken, cooking times of final step are
Goat/beef-70mins
Lamb-60 mins
Chicken-25-30 mins.
This dish
2 lbs goat(on the bone)
1/2 lemon
6 cloves
3 wiri wiri chilies/scotch bonnet or habanero
1 1/2 Tbscumin seeds roasted and ground
1 1/2 Tbs garam masala
1 1/2 curry powder
1 small onion, sliced into fine half rings
1 spring onionsliced thinly
3 Tbs celery tops
3 Tbs corn/ peanut oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 small potatoes peeled and halved
Wash meat and place in a bowl, water to cover
Add lemon juice of half lemon plus shell and let rest while you prep.
Put garlic, peppers and 3 Tbs water into a blender and whizz.
Empty into a bowl.Stir in, cumin,garam masala, curry powder, and a little water until a thick paste is formed.
Put onion, scallion and celery tops into a separate bowl.
Pour oil into a wide heavy based pot over low to medium heat.
Put in the spice paste and cover the pot.
Allow to cook for 2-3 mins, removing lid and stirring every 30 seconds.Add the strained meat and turn up heat to medium and stir well, coating the meat.
After 2 mins add salt and onions and celery tops and cover.
Cook this for 20 mins, sometimes taking off the lid and stirring.
The meat/veg will surrender a lot of moisture during this time.
Let it dry out, then add 1 pint of water, stir and bring to the boil.
Turn heat to low and cook for 45 mins before adding potatoes.
Cover and cook for 10 mins and assess how much fluid is in the pot.
Add up to 16 Fl Oz if needed to make gravyand cook another 20 mins covered until potatoes are tender.
CurryGoat.jpg

The brown pickles are hot pickled lime relish.

Last edited:
Whispers:Thanks Guerre.... I picked up a lamb shoulder yesterday .
They are glorious to use for curry...but TFO used her girl eye superpowers and asked for a French Roast over charcoal...

Sir, you define the Brethren spirit in your efforts here. I cant thank you enough for taking the time and effort. I like the idea of all the fresh ingredients and hard work.......Grazzi.

Great post! I have a question. How long will the toasted seeds last and have the "fresh" flavor. I have free time at the restaurant and could toast the seeds there for use at home. Would the whole seeds store well after toasting?

Awesome buc....made this 5 or 6 times now...1st was beverage induced failure but got er down now...im getting 4 meals for the price of 1 take out...woohoo...

one question...most other curry spice mixes include tumeric but you dont,,,any specific reason?....

On side note...has this city ever changed....20 yrs ago couldnt find fresh pasta so I opened a shop...when you posted this thread I groaned re curry leaves...found dried and couldnt believe it....:-D

oh yea...after toasting fenugreek I had to run to store...upon return all I could smell was maple syrup and was puzzeled as I was out....did a goole search and found interesting link between that spice, maple syrup and terrorism scare in new york city...

Great post! I have a question. How long will the toasted seeds last and have the "fresh" flavor. I have free time at the restaurant and could toast the seeds there for use at home. Would the whole seeds store well after toasting?

Bryan if you grind and roast and put into a good sealing container big enough to just hold the quantity the fresh aromatic sense will last a week.

Awesome buc....made this 5 or 6 times now...1st was beverage induced failure but got er down now...im getting 4 meals for the price of 1 take out...woohoo...

one question...most other curry spice mixes include tumeric but you dont,,,any specific reason?....

On side note...has this city ever changed....20 yrs ago couldnt find fresh pasta so I opened a shop...when you posted this thread I groaned re curry leaves...found dried and couldnt believe it....:-D

I want to thank you bro, it makes it really worthwhile to hear someone is benefiting from my efforts!

About turmeric, it is a matter of matching flavours.
I use turmeric in over half my curry recipes but this one has a fresh light flavour that won't benefit from turmeric, it masks too much of the flavours here.
HTH

Sir, you define the Brethren spirit in your efforts here. I cant thank you enough for taking the time and effort. I like the idea of all the fresh ingredients and hard work.......Grazzi.
Prego Tom!
:thumb:

Hey Buccs! Ever tried the garam masala on sweet potatoes with butter and a WEE touch of sugar? We love it here.

Sure.
Try this on fries.
One part chili powder, one part cumin, two parts garam madsala and two parts salt, grind together. Sprinkle on fries and toss, it is sensational!
We are eating this with lamb burgers ATM, coincidently!
I'm getting an urge for a vegetarian curry

Sure.
Try this on fries.
One part chili powder, one part cumin, two parts garam madsala and two parts salt, grind together. Sprinkle on fries and toss, it is sensational!
We are eating this with lamb burgers ATM, coincidently!
I'm getting an urge for a vegetarian curry

What...I got to you?:becky:

I'm definitely trying that.

I just cooked up a batch of this curry and it was fantastic, used some chuck which I picked up at Costco this weekend and it turned out beatifully. Spicy, earthy, complex. Just enough leftover for an awesome lunch tomorrow. Only issue that I can find is that I'll be sweating curry for days. :smile:

I just ordered fenugreek seeds for making pastrami - looks like I should of ordered more

Back