Considering Pellet Cooker and Competing

Gr8adventure

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'd like to compete locally some day. I spend too much time Fly Fishing to get too serious about Q competition. However, I am interested in cooking competition quality food on a regular basis. Are there any competition quality pellet smokers under $2k. It seems everywhere people talk about the FEC 100 as being the best for competition, but that is well out of my price range. I want a cooker I could do small local comps with, but cook at home most of the time for about 4 people and occasionally 10. I'm not really interested in owning a bunch of cookers though I'll also have a UDS.

Should I just forget pellet cookers and get something like a Lang reverse flow. I like the idea of the ease of use of a pellet, but I do wonder if they would make enough smoke as I understand that they don't produce as much smoke as a wood or charcoal smoker. Then again I wouldn't likely ever have a problem with over smoking with pellets.

We're currently cooking on a MAK 2-Star. Super easy to run and the Pellet Boss controller is outstanding.

Since you indicated you would also have a UDS, then the Cookshack FEPG500 fits your requirements. It is both a grill and a smoker basically at the same time. I, and a bunch of other cooks, use them for both competition and an at home cooker smoker.

It is limited in capacity but could do an entire KCBS contest by itself, depending on the number of briskets and butts you want to cook. I use it mainly for ribs and chicken at a contest and do everything on it at home.

There is a web site that offer a good side-by-side comparison for all of the pellets cookers and grills and gives good tips and advice. The link is http://pelletheads.com/ and I hope this is legal on this site. If not, I apologize and please delete.

I'm using a MAK 2 star, but have used a Yoder 640 and a MAK 1 star. The one star is a great unit lts of smoke and a price well below you budget. A one star with a WSM or a UDS would easily cook all your comp meats and fit well with your personal needs.

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I'm using a MAK 2 star, but have used a Yoder 640 and a MAK 1 star. The one star is a great unit lts of smoke and a price well below you budget. A one star with a WSM or a UDS would easily cook all your comp meats and fit well with your personal needs.

I sounds like you prefer the MAK units more than the Yoder 650. If that is the case may I ask what you prefer about the MAK's.

I dont have either unit right now but have owned (Mak, Traegers, and Yoders in the past)

Good and Bad of Each

Mak

Good (Build Quality, Controller, Materials) Bad (Nothing except price)

Traeger

Good (Cheap, Reliable, parts easy to find) Bad (Materials and Build Quality)

Yoder

Good (Best built, materials) Bad (Controller at least mine was and price)

I put price in the good and bad columns but in actuallity you get what you pay for. I have a FEC-100 right now and I can tell you it blows the doors off all 3 of these smokers but it cant grill like these can either so you have to pick whats right for you.

Like this, you are looking at $1299 base price. +$100 for second cooking shelf and about $100 more if you want the exterior shelves to be solid stainless, not chrome rod.
yoder-smokers-ys640-01_large.jpg

This is with the competition cart. Better wheels, tie downs hooks, and it looks sweet. You can get the cart in several different colors but you may have to pay more depending on color. Around $2000-$2200 base price.
ys640-300x200.jpg

They even have an optional custom fitted blanket if you want it, although I'm not sure if you need it since it is made from 10 gauge steel.
yoder-smokers-ys640-07_large.jpg

Take a look at the Memphis Pro from Hearthland Products as well. Rock solid temps and very even across the grate. All stainless which is great for the weather. It can be set for temps from 180 up to 600 degrees.

Oh yeah... It also has a double wall cook box so it performs well in all kinds of weather.

Last edited:
We use a Trager Lil Tex for our overnight Butts/shoulders. It'll hold 3 butts easy. we get great scores with it.

Thanks everyone. I probably should have stated from the beginning that I'm already certian that I'm not interested in Tragers unless I found one for an insanely low deal as I've seen them in person at COSTCO and I just wasn't impressed with the materials and build quality.

I've got to admit, that of all those suggested so far the one I find most esthically pleasing is the Yoder, I just like that more "traditional" smoker look.

However, I've heard so many good things about the MAC and Memphis units here and elsewhere that I might just have to get over my dislike for the stainless steel look. Again I like that good Ol' black industrial look.

Last edited:
Yoder
Good (Best built, materials) Bad (Controller at least mine was and price)

I have been cooking on a 640 and just added a 480. 640 is not quite enough to cook a contest unless you really cut back on meat quantity.

I haven't had problem with controllers. I haven't really monitored temps though. Pork butts and brisket, fat down, 250* at 10pm and I have had beautiful looking product every time at 6am ready for wrap. And sleep.

Some what above your price range is the Cookshack FEPG1000. It has a lower pellet consumption of all of the mentioned cookers, is fully insulated for use in the northern climes, will sear steaks at over 600 degrees or cold smoke salmon at under 60 degrees or cook pizza like a brick oven. It is usable both summer and winter in your area for home and competion. It will replace your gasser, green egg, smoker, brinkman or whatever else you have. I use it younger brother, the 500, to replace my Traeger, my gasser, my webber and, for the most part, my FE100 at home. I live in a somewhat warmer climate and really don't need the insulation.

Ooops! Sometimes I'm a little slow and have been wondering about all the cold weather comments. I'm in Elk Grove, CA. in Sacramento County. We don't really get cold weather here like other parts of the country or even further up in Northern CA.

Last edited:
Ooops! Sometimes I'm a little slow and have been wondering about all the cold weather comments. I'm in Elk Grove, CA. in Sacramento County. We don't really get cold weather here. Like other parts of the Country or even further up in Northern CA.

Then consider the FECPG500 - $1500. Smoke, grill, cold smoke. It's the uninsultated version of the 1000, and will save you a grand if you don't need insulation. FEC build quality and customer service are great.

Love my 2 Yoder Smokers:

208857_3338795068577_1393786966_n.jpg

Quality is second to none and I've not had a controller problem that wasn't user error. I highly recommend them.

I cook with two pellet cookers at competitions. The FEC 100 and a Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie. The GMG is comparable to the Traeger, but better quality. It's under $1000.00 and cooks great.

Do you know how much they are with that cart? Don't see it as an option.

YS640 w/ 2nd shelf and comp cart - $1,995. When you get the comp cart, the shelves get upgraded to Stainless
Paint - varies. red is $125. silver and orange are no charge.
Direct grate kit - $89.95 + $20 for the fancy spatula
Cover - $122.50
Door thermometers - $80
Expanded metal main grate -- no charge but you need to ask for it

Learning to cook on the Yoder right now. RE: controller issues... On my unit, the center of the main grate seems to run 20-30 degrees hotter than the controller reports (as measured with my maverick). Not a problem at all and certainly something you can easily work with as long as it is consistent. However, the back right corner is hot as sh1t and can run 100-150 degrees hotter than the controller reports. :confused: See what happens to you ribs back there. :tsk:

Back