More Box Feedback

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Would love some more feedback. There are a few things I see in the picture here, that we didn't notice when we built the box ( it was getting dark ). One of the ribs, the cut is uneven, as the meat tore right as I got to the bottom. We trimmed it best we could, I think next time I would have just left it out.

Also, the second thing is the "space" in the middle. We worked on that for a while, and no matter what we did, we couldn't get the ribs to not part like that. We had this happen last time, and I think it might have something to do with the boxes I bought. I am not sure if that is a big deal or not, but I would be interested in your take on it....

Box Spots: I got a little trigger happy with the camera, and the picture was taken before we cleaned up the spots on the side... those weren't there in the final picture, but that one didn't come out as well, so I didn't bother to post that one.

Finally, the rib placement... The ribs on the bottom and top are all flush against the walls of the box, they are just long ribs this time...

Is the layout I have chosen good enough, or is there another way I should be looking at?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to check out the box...

box.JPG

As you've already stated, there are a few things that detract from the appearance scoring. The space between the middle ribs is very distracting, the lack of garnish on the top side of the box is also distracting. The bottom of the right two ribs looks like they didn't get any sauce (could be just the photo, but that's what I've got to work with).

As you've already stated, there are a few things that detract from the appearance scoring. The space between the middle ribs is very distracting, the lack of garnish on the top side of the box is also distracting. The bottom of the right two ribs looks like they didn't get any sauce (could be just the photo, but that's what I've got to work with).

I thought Garnish did not count???

If you tear them just slice the extra off and glue (sauce) it back to the other piece where it belongs.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Thanks Tom... Thats good info. I see what you are saying about the lack of garnish on the top. Hadn't really thought about that. One of the pieces of advice I was trying to follow from last time, was to have everything flush against the top and bottom. I'll keep what you said in mind... Learning process right? <grin>

SO.. that brings me to a question... when we put the ribs in.. there was absolutely nothing we could do ( we worked on this for like 30 min ) to prevent the ribs from bending away... it was like they naturally wanted to fall that way, and then created that gap in the middle. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Maybe the ribs on the bottom weren't the same height causing the ones on top to tip a little?? Good advice I got once was to make the box, close it walk away for a minute then come back and look it over again. Of course if you're up against the clock at a comp that advice falls to the side.

Maybe a dab of thick sauce or honey to "glue" them together? :wink: :wink:

TIM

Thanks.. I'll see what I can do. I am almost wondering if the box I was using was weak or something. This is the third box we have done, and the first time I have had this issue. I will also fully admit that it might also be the way the ribs were butchered too... well, whatever the issue, it was still a good learning experience...

Also, I agree with Tom's 8. Nice, but a little distraction here n there... Also, you may consider putting them in 2 bones per slice. You dont see this nearly as often in KCBS style entries but it fills the box and keeps that falling thing from happening (and IMHO keeps them ever-so-slightly-hotter).

I thought Garnish did not count???

Garnish is NOT supposed to "count" as judges are to judge the MEAT; HOWEVER, garnish does HELP or HURT the appearance of the meat by being a good frame and platform OR by distracting attention from the meat (as in this case).

Back