holy crap, uds chicken can be *good*

borzwazie

Knows what a fatty is.
I've been wanting to try a whole chicken on my UDS. My first try at UDS chicken was individual pieces at 250 with apple wood - this produced a very smoky, non-juicy meal that I was not happy with. It honestly almost turned me off on the idea of chicken on a UDS.

Today, I took a whole roasting chicken, brined it in a standard 1 salt - 1/2 sugar brine for an hour or so, stuffed it with half an onion, cut up, and a couple cubanelle peppers, also cut up. I seasoned it with a rubdown of olive oil and this rub mix (approx):

2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tsp Chili powder
1 Tsp Black pepper
1 Tsp Cayenne pepper

I should note that this rub was adapted from the "All south BBQ rub" in the recipe section. Measurements are approximate, it was whatever looked right to me.

I didn't have a beer can lying around, so I just stuffed it and used wooden skewers to pin everything shut/in place. Laid the chicken breast side down. I didn't trim any fat or skin.

Cooked it at 330-ish, perhaps a bit more, for a little over an hour. Thigh and breast temps looked good about then, so I pulled it. It was so dang juicy I thought for sure I hadn't cooked it through. I rechecked my temps just to be sure - they were spot-on.

Holy crap, this was the best chicken I ever had! I didn't add any wood to my charcoal load, still got a nice mild smoke flavor though. It reminds me of that rotisserie chicken you can buy at the store fresh, only not all dried out and nasty. It was juicy, and the onion/pepper side worked great with the rub side. Freaking wonderful.

I wish I had pr0n for you but it's all gone :icon_blush:

What a difference from the first attempt!

Lessons learned:

Cook chicken at high(er) temps
Don't bother with adding wood to the charcoal for chicken
Cook by internal temp, not by time

I freaking love my UDS. I keep finding excuses to use it.

There ya go! Glad it went well for you. Higher temps are definitely yer friend for poultry! :thumb:

Yep, a UDS can cook uip some great chicken, sounds like you found a keeper of a process

The first chicken you cooked failed not because of the UDS...but I think you figured that out and remedied the situation.

You can add wood to smoke the chicken, but as you found out it doesn't take much. I'd use one, and no more than two, fist sized chucks in a UDS or WSM.

Great job.:thumb:

I was surprised that breast down in a UDS produced evenly juicy chicken since the breast is exposed to higher direct heat?

Congrats Borz...for wood, try just a finger size piece...if you're cooking that high, and relatively quick, no reason to waste a whole chunk, just break off a piece. Mix it in with the coals, you'll see a little bit more of a smoky color to your chick. Great job!

Jalon

Back