If you could change 1 thing

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
If you could change 1 thing about Competition BBQ. What would it be.

More trained judges. There are a lot of good judges out there, but there's a lot of ignorant judges, too, that score on ridiculous scales such as never giving a nine or giving out a five to something that clearly isn't below average. I hear stories like that all the time and it drives me nuts. I judge comps here and there and I give it a nine if it's really good and I don't give it anything below a six unless it really is below average. Just a pet peeve of mine. :p

For which sanctioning body?

KCBS - I'd probably want to eliminate allowance of greens in the box.
GBA - Pork loin, BBQ? Really. No, replace it with Brisket.
FBA - No chicken; chicken ain't BBQ, is it? Maybe it is.
MIM/MBN - Perhaps weigh the scoring WAY down for on-site. Meaning blind is 90% of the score, on-site is 10%.

I wish the pay-outs were greater. I would love to quit my job and become a professional pitmaster. :becky: I'm sure my wife feels differently. :mad:

Add more surprise side dish categories :)
And then the results would eliminate the bottom 33%
Oh this would be very popular I just know it

You know I am teasing right?

More comps closer to home.

Comps and events non conflicting.

Less moaning, false hype and more cooking. :)

Destroy the clicks!! If ya don't like someone then just out cook them. :)

How about in a turn in box, with a 2" foam platforn covered with Indoor/Outdoor Carpet that your meat gets put on so all boxes look the same EXCEPT for the meat. Then and only then the MEAT will get an APPEARANCE score.

Judging - one extra step to become a CBJ - you have to cook with a team first - then to remain certified some sort of yearly continuing education be it a questionnaire, cooking with a team, etc. Finally, for KCBS, every issue of the Bullsheet should have a judging article that covers the latest FAQ's, rustlings, tips, etc.

How about in a turn in box, with a 2" foam platforn covered with Indoor/Outdoor Carpet that your meat gets put on so all boxes look the same EXCEPT for the meat. Then and only then the MEAT will get an APPEARANCE score.

It is funny you say that because a guy that helps me(never been to a comp until this year) that is his idea also :p but I bet you can guess what his job is :becky::becky: he says it is for sanitation reasons though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do like the idea of some continuing education for judges though!

It would be nice to figure out some way to make judging more consistent. I doubt it will ever happen, but I can dream, can't I? It ticks me off to no end to see APPEARANCE score like 999955. This seems to be more and more common. How can 4 people think the box in front of them looks excellent and two people look at the same box and think it is below average?

The only thing I can think of is a standard format for the contest. All turn ins start at the same time, awards be at the same time, meat inspection be at the same time, cooks meeting be at the same time. Then we don't have wonder what were walking into from week to week.

Back