Spritzing fruit juice on ribs question

Bob E Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to smoke some back ribs tomorrow. I was thinking about spritzing them with cherry juice, or apple juice.
I have read alot about glazing, will this glaze up?
Does anyone have a preference? Is this a crazy idea?

I slather them, then dry rub. usually use cherry wood, indirect on OTS.

Thanks for your time.

I never use AJ or any other, just my own rub, and I don't slather with mustard. Never had a complaint, but then most would never take a chance of annoying me.:becky:

For what it's worth, I'm a newbie and have learned more lurking on the forum for many moons than I've learned just doing it.

I've spritzed apple and cherry juice (100% not the blended concentrate) on ribs and I like the result. It does not glaze because the sugar content is not high enough but it does add great flavor.

I used to spritz ribs but decided that it did not really add anything for my taste. I don't compete, this is what I do for friends and family.

A glaze is another thing. If you want a nice glistening shiny glaze you can accomplish this in the last 15 to 30 minutes of cook time.

This is how I do it. Put some barbecue sauce of your choice in a sauce pan, add some honey, butter, Pineapple juice and a dash of Cayenne powder. Heat that up until the butter melts and stir it all together. Brush that on your ribs and return them to the fire. Watch closely. When it gets all shiny and starts to set up, take the ribs off and let them rest. This concoction glazes quickly and can turn from a thing of beauty to something that resembles a crashed meteorite in a very short time.

The juice spritz a lot of folks do, but as mentioned above..
alone by itself, it will not glaze.,, but is flavorful.
Use 100% juice... not the fake stuff and NOT with corn syrup.

For an APPLE GLAZE, I just made this the other night.
It is Steve Raichlen's SPICY APPLE BBQ Sauce/Glaze.
I will put it on the last 20-30 minutes.

Hope this helps.:-D

---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

Steven Raichlen's SPICY APPLE SAUCE/GLAZE
***I changed it up by adding:
Ancho Chili powder 2-1/2 Tbs instead of amount listed
- and - added 1 tsp of a spicy chili powder
This has a GREAT apple flavor and the added spice kicked it up.

1 cup ketchup
2 cups apple juice
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons chile powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

Place the ketchup, apple juice, molasses, vinegar, brown and granulated sugar, chile powder, celery seed, cinnamon, and cloves in a large heavy saucepan and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking to mix.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavored, about 40 minutes, whisking often. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. The sauce should be highly seasoned.

hmmmm. some things to mull over. what about...

The cherry juice, more like a syrup, i was going to use is a Montmorency cherry conc. it claims 68 brix. sweetened with a little honey? hmmm.
the apple juice is just a regular juice. zzzzzz. off the list.

does glazing work as well with indirect heat?

I slather to get a nice adhearance of rub. I know what you mean Chef Jim, no one like to annoy me when i am in the 'Que zone. They find their portions shrink if they do :wink:

Blackberry flavored wine has been showing up at my house, and I've been spritzing with it. We like it, and my wife and I don't drink wine.

Matt

Back