Any Bubba Keg / Big Steel Keg users out there?

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought a Big Steel Keg and I had a chance to look at it yesterday. I didn't see any type of diffuser for low-n-slow, so I was wondering what people did for 225-250 temp ranges. I think the manufacturer is promising a diffuser, but for now it seems people are using home-made diffusers.
Anybody have a method, pic or description for doing low-n-slow on a Big Steel Keg or Bubba Keg that I can send him? He is just grilling for now, but interested in taking the next step into real BBQ.

Thanks!

Go to this link as they have several discussions regarding the diffuser. http://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?board=3.0 Folks have used a placesetter, a cast iron wok and the spider with success. I have used a wire rack let over from an old Brinkmann smoker set inside the firebowl with a pan on top (with and without water). Temperatures for low and slow can be tricky. I will say this Keg is extremely efficient and has held up to 800 degree pizza oven temperatures.

I use a homemade version. It's not pretty but it will do the trick until the official version comes in.

Any easy answer for you friend might be to get a BGE platesetter. The only problem with that is it raises the grate so high that the top grate becomes hard to use. So if he or she is only planning on using one grate to cook on anyways, a simple drip pan on the bottom grate with the food on top becomes a very attractive (IE cheaper) option until the official one comes out.

I think right now the best (off the shelf) option is the spider. Having said that, I got an email from Tom who said it fits, but just barely. It will work as a diffuser, but the legs are slightly too short to flip the spider over and use it to hold a wok or something like that (that would move). But for use as a diffuser, it should work just fine.

Tell your friend congratulations. I love my bubba keg WAY more than I expected. I think he's going to be very happy with it.

Oh, one more thing. Tell him to season the heck out of that top vent. Right off the shelf, that top vent is kinda "air-gappy." This makes it hard to hold low temps. Once it gets broken in, it's a totally different cooker. It's really easy to keep it at 250 for hours and hours at a time.

I use a Lodge 14" cast iron pizza pan in my keg. Totally agree with hogsfan about seasoning the top vent really well.

I own and love a Bubba Keg Grill... this guy is right on it for ribs... http://www.gas-grill-review.com/spareribs-on-a-bubba-keg-grill.html, I have also looked into to the diffuser, the Big Green Egg, I believe Large version, has a plate setter (as they call it) for about $60.00 and fits perfectly in the BKG. It is ceramic, so remember it is not nearly as strong as the Grill!!! Hope this helps...

I think right now the best (off the shelf) option is the spider. Having said that, I got an email from Tom who said it fits, but just barely. It will work as a diffuser, but the legs are slightly too short to flip the spider over and use it to hold a wok or something like that (that would move). But for use as a diffuser, it should work just fine.

I've heard the spider mentioned a few times, but I have no idea what it is. What exactly is it? BTW, thanks for all the comments!

I own and love a Bubba Keg Grill... this guy is right on it for ribs... http://www.gas-grill-review.com/spareribs-on-a-bubba-keg-grill.html, I have also looked into to the diffuser, the Big Green Egg, I believe Large version, has a plate setter (as they call it) for about $60.00 and fits perfectly in the BKG. It is ceramic, so remember it is not nearly as strong as the Grill!!! Hope this helps...

You will always be my bbq hero. I wouldn't even have a keg if it wasn't for you and now it's my favorite grill. Thanks again!

I have both the BGE plate setter and the 14" Lodge CI pizza pan. They both do an excellent job.

If I had to chose one, I would chose the CI pizza pan because the manufacturer of the BSK will be selling a diffuser soon, and the pizza pan makes a great griddle for the BSK, fits quite nicely! Eventually we all NEED a CI griddle!!

One advantage of the plate setter is that it hold a pizza stone at the perfect height (even with the top edge of the BSK which makes using a pizza peel real easy. So I'd say if your frined will make more pizzas than need a griddle, the the plate setter is a good choice.

One other ket difference thought is that you cannot use the upper rack of the BSK with the plate setter, but you can with the pizza pan. One other minor point, the plate setter is $60, whereas the pizza pan can be had for $30 from Amazon.

If I had to chose one, I would chose the CI pizza pan because the manufacturer of the BSK will be selling a diffuser soon, and the pizza pan makes a great griddle for the BSK, fits quite nicely! Eventually we all NEED a CI griddle!!

Thanks for the info! So I am assuming you would still need the spider to hold the CI pizza pan?

Gotta love this site. A friend of mine called me yesterday asking about the Bubba Keg. I just sent him a link to this thread and told him to join the Brethren.

Saiko, I have a spider for my Large Egg. Nice unit. I use it all the time.

Actually you do not need a spider if you go the cast iron pizza pan or wok route. The 14 inch lodge logic wok and pan will sit on top of the firebowl without the need of a spider.

Actually you do not need a spider if you go the cast iron pizza pan or wok route. The 14 inch lodge logic wok and pan will sit on top of the firebowl without the need of a spider.

Good point. But you could also say you wouldn't need the wok if you have the spider. ;)

The wok's a great solution. I'm thinking about going that route simply because I think I would also use the wok as a wok as well as a diffuser, but the spider is tempting because it's cheaper and it will hold a small BGE cast iron grate (which I happen to have...randomly) very close to the coals for searing.

I think it's an issue of which you think you would get the most use out of.

I have a big steel keg. love it.
i use the big green egg plate setter, which works fine. They just came out with adn are taking pre-orders for their own diffuser, i have only seen drawings, but i'm not sure i like the design, from what i've seen

I had mine for about a month now- best purchase I've made in a long time. Paid $299 at Home Depot when they were closing them out.

Here is my BK diffuser. Cost about $8.00.

picture.php

Back