• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

full practice run for Big Blue

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Me, my son in law Jared, and soon to be son in law Brent are doing a practice run for timing to get ready for the Red Neck BBQ in Sikeston MO. next month. Brisket and butts are on and getting ready to rub the chicken and ribs. More pics to follow.

Last edited:
sorry it took so long on pics.

The cook was going great for about 4.5 hours. I had the Jack's Old South smoker rolling along at 325 degrees and then I hit a batch of unseasoned wood that would do nothing but smolder. Temp went down to 230 really quick. I was pulling logs out and trying other ones to get the temp up. Hit the time with chicken and ribs, fell a little behind on the butts and brisket. I am starting to learn this cooker just in time, but must have dry wood. I guess I need to order more for the fall now and get next years supply in about July.

First pic is me playing with the meat:icon_blush: and adding sauce. Next is just a smoker the way it should be, followed by turn in boxes. Enjoy as I prepare to be torn apart.

Last edited:
Larry, do you have room inside the firebox to set a log off to the side of the coals? That will help that log get ready to join the fire when it's time.

There really is not much room. Maybe right at the door. It was about 70 outside Saturday and still had to really throw the wood to it to keep it up. Cooking everything hot and fast has its disadvantages, but I will try to see what I can do with that. I have a pending catering event for about 70 people Easter weekend.

Thanks for the idea!

Larry, best of luck; knock 'em dead.

A few personal observations on the turn in boxes.

First, the color on all the meats to me look wonderful and appetizing.

You can have too much greenery in the boxes. I think in chicken and pork
you definitely have too much.

Chicken, nice sheen, very nice appetizing color. Size, see if can get them a little
more consistent. You'll want the skins to be either a little crispy or so tender that
they're bite-through; not rubbery.

Ribs, nice color, nice amount of sauce, sauce could be more consistent. Consider
doing a St Louis cut spare; they're easier to get 6 pieces (or more) in the box with
arrangement and they'll pull back from the bone (usually) a little more.

Pork, watch the region. If the pork isn't pulled (here in the south), you're dead.

Brisket, nice smoke ring. Looks/appears as though falling apart on the ends.

Is that piece of chicken (front row, middle) happy to see me?:-D:redface:

The chicken looked really good - but really, the "hard on" is distracting to say the least!

The ribs need the most work. A good sharp knife will go a long way. But I bet they taste awesome!

Pork looks really good - but I agree that the greens cover up too much of the pulled/chunks. I would also look for a more consistant coating of sauce on the slices.

The brisket was your best box, IMO, but agian, the greens covered the burnt ends almost completely. Really good color throughout!!!

Keep it up, Bro:clap2:

Is that piece of chicken (front row, middle) happy to see me?:-D:redface:

The chicken looked really good - but really, the "hard on" is distracting to say the least!

The ribs need the most work. A good sharp knife will go a long way. But I bet they taste awesome!

Pork looks really good - but I agree that the greens cover up too much of the pulled/chunks. I would also look for a more consistant coating of sauce on the slices.

The brisket was your best box, IMO, but agian, the greens covered the burnt ends almost completely. Really good color throughout!!!

Keep it up, Bro:clap2:

It kind of looks like a hot dog in the piece of chicken. All looks yummy though!

Back