• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your comments for February KCBS meeting.

DONHARWELL

Found some matches.
Reaction score
OK Guys, February the 6th the KCBS Board will be a having a day long planning meeting. I would love to hear what you would like to see come out of this meeting and KCBS. I not looking for bull here, but I do want to hear from you. Email me at the kcbs us at my user name of dharwell.

FYI - It was nice to see a lot of Brethren in Philly this weekend.

DonH

Don,

I'd like to see a motion and vote on making committee members public. I'd also like a motion and vote on using the KCBS website to announce committee openings and allow members to communicate their interest to the committee chair for consideration.

Thanks for your service.

Todd

I second Todd's comment on committee members and open positions.

I'd also like to see formal strategic objectives with defined measures added and addressed. These should also ultimately link to the committee goals and structure, with formal requirement on how the committee is addressing these goals. No more "No Report" for multiple months on end.

Almost forgot

Term Limits - Allowed to serve X number of terms (3 or 4 maybe) then a mandatory cooling off period of Y years (or 1 term). For those that continue to want to serve in a capacity within the organization, they can continue to serve and have roles on respective committees.

Don,

I'd like to see a motion and vote on making committee members public. I'd also like a motion and vote on using the KCBS website to announce committee openings and allow members to communicate their interest to the committee chair for consideration.
+1

I'd also like to see a financial statement showing expenditures for the annual meeting in Philadelphia vs income from attendees. There's no way that sad excuse for a buffet should have cost $14,000+. I'd like to know what else my $53 (and everyone else's) subsidized.

Even if the banquet attendees alone footed the bill for the 3 meeting rooms and the banquet hall rental (which they shouldn't have) the cost vs services provided seemed way out of line.

Since the hotel was unable to fulfill it's contractual obligation (they ran out of food during service) are banquet attendees going to get partial refunds?

Last edited:
Almost forgot

Term Limits - Allowed to serve X number of terms (3 or 4 maybe) then a mandatory cooling off period of Y years (or 1 term). For those that continue to want to serve in a capacity within the organization, they can continue to serve and have roles on respective committees.

Are you asking to expand the current term limits. I cannot agree with that. I think are current term limits are good, and just cannot go along with an expansion of the number of terms a board member can serve without a break.
Merl

Almost forgot

There are specific term limits. Only 2 terms permitted 3 years each, and only three years on the executive committee position. You must sit out 1 year after you have reached the limits.

Don,

Thanks for your service.

Todd

Todd,
The chairs are all listed on the KCBS website with their email addresses. The duties may change in Feburary but at least on my part I would be happy to have volunteers interested in being on my committee.

There are specific term limits. Only 2 terms permitted 3 years each, and only three years on the executive committee position. You must sit out 1 year after you have reached the limits.

Thanks for the clarification - I would say if its a 1 year cooling period (2 terms, off a year, another 2 terms) I'd move to extend the cooling period.

Todd,
The chairs are all listed on the KCBS website with their email addresses. The duties may change in Feburary but at least on my part I would be happy to have volunteers interested in being on my committee.

Linda,

Look at my post again. That isn't what I asked for. I asked for committee members specifically, not chairs. You are correct that we know who the chairs are.

Something more formal than "you can email me" would be nice. For instance, if the Technology committee was looking for certain skills to support an initiative, I'm sure members who have those skills would like to know so that they can choose to step up.

Todd

Todd, I LOVE your idea! I see no reason why this could not be done! I know it would get more members interested and involved! Afterall, it's up to all of us to help make KCBS a better organization, not just the Board. They can't do it without us!

Todd, I LOVE your idea! I see no reason why this could not be done! I know it would get more members interested and involved! Afterall, it's up to all of us to help make KCBS a better organization, not just the Board. They can't do it without us!

Hmmm... maybe I should run for the board. :rolleyes:

I would like to serve on a committee
Yes the concept of everyone knowing who is serving on which committee is a good one.
The days of "No Report" should be over.

I would like to serve on a committee
Yes the concept of everyone knowing who is serving on which committee is a good one.
The days of "No Report" should be over.

Each committee chair should have a strategic plan that is published along with their members. The monthly reports should speak to the strategic plan at minimum.

Although, I might start trying this at work. "Todd's how's your SW development project coming along? Are we hitting our targets?"

"No report."

"Again?"

Thom, you and I should be on the committee on committees.

There is no doubt that there is a core group of KCBS members who want very badly to be involved. I see no reason to not put any member who wants to be a part of an education initiative, etc. to work! My experience with the people I've met in our organization is that we are an amazingly talented and varied group. And we're all united in our passion for barbeque and KCBS is the recipient. I've offered to help before (years ago) on a committee and was pretty much told things were under control. In other words, thanks but no thanks. My personal philosophy is that many hands make for lighter work. KCBS should utilize all its resources and by far the greatest one it has is the knowledge and talents and passion for all things barbeque of its members (that 21% that voted anyway).

Thom-----What do you know about being on a board, let alone BBQ?

Jeez With "friends" like you
LOL
What do I know?
hummmmm

I know Arlie has a
rather dry sense of humor.

I know it is past the point where another year
of same old thing will work

I also know turning in "no report"
will not cut it anymore.

Back