Wheels on UDS?

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm just finishing up my first UDS. I found 4 caster wheels a old toolbox today.
Any tips on mounting them? Do I need all 4?

If you got hard surface to roll it on to storage? I would use three as it would sit with out rocking verse 4 which could be a potential problem to get them all level or level ground to sit on. I vote for three.

Since commercial Drum Dollies use 4 wheels, my vote is 4.

L-P

I welded 3 casters to a drum top, and set the UDS on that, works fine. Wheels are great!

I was thinking about cutting up and refitting an old hand truck to mount to a UDS.

Since commercial Drum Dollies use 4 wheels, my vote is 4.
I can understand the 4 wheels considering a full load of drum can weigh something like 500 lbs.
I like three wheels but preferably mounting them outboard for stability.

Go with three. There's a reason that camera tripods, surveillance equipment, milk stools, tricycles, etc, have three wheels or legs and that is because three points of contact is more stable on uneven terrain than four points of contact.

Sorry, I just don't get the need for wheels at all. a UDS is not heavy.

That said, I would go with 4 to reduce the possibility of tipping if you are dead set on having wheels.

If I ever needed wheels on my UDS my first choice would be to mount just two hand truck style wheels and dolly the UDS like a hand truck.

I have wheels on everything. They are all kept in the garage. You can bet if I ever get a WSM, I will be adding wheels. Keep on roll'in Baby!!!

The added benefit to adding wheels is it makes the drum sit up higher, which is a bonus if you're tall like me.

Back