Whiskey Barrel Smoker

smoker

besides insurance....could a 'disclaimer' signed upon purchase be feasible to reduce the liability? Of course it would require 'safety concerns' as with anything dealing with fire. Yes, I can imagine idiots not monitoring it or having somewhere near a structure.

You did a wine barrel...do you have some pics? Is it electric or propane?

besides insurance....could a 'disclaimer' signed upon purchase be feasible to reduce the liability? Of course it would require 'safety concerns' as with anything dealing with fire. Yes, I can imagine idiots not monitoring it or having somewhere near a structure.

You did a wine barrel...do you have some pics? Is it electric or propane?

You could sell them, just talk with a lawyer first. Out here in CA there are just too many people looking to get rich off of other people through the court system so I didn't put much thought into it. When I grew up Sue used to be a name, now it's a verb.

smoker

lol...I hear ya. I found your thread on the smoker you had. It looked nice!! I wish you had set it up with propane. also, I am going to use a fireplace mortar caulk to seal up the gaps after a few smokes. With propane, even a few stave leaks is no big deal to maintain temp.
caulk.jpg

smoker

yes, I knew the staves would dry---but my barrel is 50 years old, so I figure it is as dry as it will be. My mistake is I took it apart to clean etc. I wish I hadn't. It seems then I had issues with the staves. I have had 3 cooks on it and the staves are not moving any. I did screw each one down. I knew they made a caulking for repairing mortar etc with fireplaces. I will try and see if it works, but should seal the gap to maintain temps. In most cases, you probably dont need an exhaust pipe on top, and just let smoke go out of staves.

are you sing gas or charcoal? if too much air, charcoal will flare in to a flame, so have to be careful. A burner you can control and put in a pan with no access to burn the wood. Air for charcoal could cause a huge flareup.

the spigot is cool....and would look nice, either functional or not. I was thinking of same thing. They have wood or metal. Good luck.

Well I'm planning on charcoal = gonna pickup some expando tommorrow.'

I just don't think that the spigot will allow in too much air - but if it does, I'll get a ball valve :redface:

Back