stone or cast iron pan for pizza on bge

jimbonelson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was going to buy a pizza stone for the bge today the guy in the store told me he uses a cast iron baking pan. What one works best

Whatever can take the heat best. Never tried it on cast but I have broken several stones trying to reach a good high temp to cook on it. Which ever you decide season it well.

I use ceramic...But I heard that CI is as good or better...It won't break, and you can cook steaks and veggies on it, on a non-pizza night....

Pizza stone.
Think about it, the CI or metal trays do not absorb moisture at all they sizzle it causing steaming, the whole point of a stone is to crispy bake the base by using it's absorbent properties!

Funny story. We bought this house a year and a half ago. One day I'm out digging
an area to plant some more veggies, right near the house and look what I un-earth
sypnrm.jpg

It was rusted pretty bad, so I threw it in the fire for 20 min., brought it out,
seasoned it and started making pizza.
We've used stone for years and broke many, not all due to heat, but this thing is awesome and the heat won't hurt it a bit.
I checked the price on it, it's like $ 35.00 on Amazon. It is a Lodge. Wish I had bought one years ago

I don't know how it got there, all I can say is, I am very blessed.

I use cast iron. It will (likely) never crack and it heats up quickly. My only concern is that it conducts too much heat into the crust and is more likely to burn the crust than a stone would be. I have not tested that theory, however.

I've had good luck with my BGE stone.

If you go the stone route get one that is made for a grill, like the BGE stone or the Red Sky stone. Here is a good article on The Naked Whiz that shows what can happen when a stone designed for an oven is used on a grill.

http://nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm

Pizza stone.
Think about it, the CI or metal trays do not absorb moisture at all they sizzle it causing steaming, the whole point of a stone is to crispy bake the base by using it's absorbent properties!

Just playing devil's advocate here but do you really think at 400 degrees or above that anything will absorb into a stone?

Funny story. We bought this house a year and a half ago. One day I'm out digging
an area to plant some more veggies, right near the house and look what I un-earth
sypnrm.jpg

It was rusted pretty bad, so I threw it in the fire for 20 min., brought it out,
seasoned it and started making pizza.
We've used stone for years and broke many, not all due to heat, but this thing is awesome and the heat won't hurt it a bit.
I checked the price on it, it's like $ 35.00 on Amazon. It is a Lodge. Wish I had bought one years ago

I don't know how it got there, all I can say is, I am very blessed.

This is what I use. I used a stone for a while but got the CI pizza plate and love it. I won't be going back to a stone.

Just playing devil's advocate here but do you really think at 400 degrees or above that anything will absorb into a stone?

I've not done a pizza on a grill (via stone or CI), but that was my initial thought as well. Anybody else ever dropped some water on a hot rock around a camp fire? Nearly instantly boils off!

I use ceramic...But I heard that CI is as good or better...It won't break, and you can cook steaks and veggies on it, on a non-pizza night....

Blasphemy! :becky:

You don't mix foods with cast iron. Some old southern woman may bend you over and give you what for. LMAO

Who needs a pizza pan? Cook right on the grate.

Sorry I had to say it.

I don't use a pan. I cook on the grate.

Think microscopically, it isn't like water pools and sinks in but yes, the difference is the water molecules vibrate between the pizza base and metal and they don't on stone...or in real pizza ovens.
That's what the food scientists tell us.

Pizza is great either way, this isn't about being wrong to use metal, just what is the best choice when choosing for the OP.

I have a cast iron one, like that picture above and use it for manner of things. Works great

I use a BGE stone on a KJ heat deflector in my Vision kamado. Works like a charm for crispy crust. The stone is half inch thick or so, nice and heavy.

I have both and think they both work grat.

I do find the stone is easier to work with when cooking one Pizza after another.

Back