• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do you foil your bottom?

ElQueTraz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Those with gravity feeds, cabinets, offsets or whichever....how do you feel about foil or foil pans sitting on the bottom of your pit or on a heat distribution tube to catch grease? Is a long cook going to taste like smoked foil? Any effect to the cook?Thanks Brethrens.

I usually put on underwear and then…..Wait…..What’s that?..... That’s not what their asking…….OK Nevermind!

I foiled the pan on my treager when it was alive. Changed it out each time and no issues. I smoked 6 butts at a time before without issue.

I cooked the entire grate of the texas model with Chicken and no issue either.

When I use my offset I like to have a large foil pan below the grate. The cooker has a drain hole but I like to keep the bottom somewhat clean instead of a greasy mess. No issues with foil

I have never used foil but I have uses 1/2 and full pans below the main grate. I will add water on a long cook to keep the drippings from burning.

I foil the bottom of my gf but not to catch drippings. I use it to catch the ash that blows into the cook chamber

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I foil the bottom of my gf but not to catch drippings. I use it to catch the ash that blows into the cook chamber

Interesting! I haven't noticed any ash with the GF.

I put foil pans on the bottom shelf of my lsg vertical cabinet to catch drippings. Makes clean up a lot easier

Will have to try this...
I wonder if adding water to the pans to keep drippings from burning (like mentioned above) has a water pan affect? Maybe keeps the cooking chamber a little moist?

Interesting! I haven't noticed any ash with the GF.
My T&K has a different design. No heat tube so a little Ash blows in. Never gets near the food. Temps are not hot on the bottom rack. Very good trade off.

yes actually I do, my offset is small so it is easy and makes clean up a breeze

Disposable full pan. Fill it with water. Toss it out after its done cooling. No issues. I use a 270 Smokers Sumo.

I use full and half foil pans under the meat in my offset to catch the drippings. Never had any problems with off tastes or smells. Easy cleanup.

My T&K has a different design. No heat tube so a little Ash blows in. Never gets near the food. Temps are not hot on the bottom rack. Very good trade off.

That is a good trade off!

I've got a slide in water pan that I generally line with foil but I also have it full of aluminum loaf pans full of sand and wrapped in foil that I use as a heat sink. I sit a disposable pan either right on top of the sand filled pans or on a rack right below the cooking meat to catch drippings. Never any issues with it.

I've got a slide in water pan that I generally line with foil but I also have it full of aluminum loaf pans full of sand and wrapped in foil that I use as a heat sink. I sit a disposable pan either right on top of the sand filled pans or on a rack right below the cooking meat to catch drippings. Never any issues with it.

No that's quite the setup! Cool idea.

Back