Sponsors?

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys ask of your sponsors? I'm not getting sponsors for my first few comps, but if things go well I might ask some people to be sponsors but I'm not sure how much $ to ask for even if I should ask for $....

Looking for some advice that I might use in the coming months....

Thanks in advance!

What do you guys ask of your sponsors? I'm not getting sponsors for my first few comps, but if things go well I might ask some people to be sponsors but I'm not sure how much $ to ask for even if I should ask for $....

Looking for some advice that I might use in the coming months....

Thanks in advance!

Getting a sponsor is a two way street. If someone gives you something, they will expect something in return. There is no free ride. Getting sponsors is tricky to say the least and once you obtain them you are contracted and obligated. We always financed our team ourselves so we wouldn't be obligated to anyone. I would start by doing well in some contests so your team has some marketability.

Yes I agree... I don't plan on asking for any sponsor anytime soon but after we do some comps & can show people we are serious and not horrible I think it would be a win win to get them some advertisement and maybe get our team a discount on meat from the butcher or a bank to pay some towards the application fees..... Maybe just a thought

Yes I agree... I don't plan on asking for any sponsor anytime soon but after we do some comps & can show people we are serious and not horrible I think it would be a win win to get them some advertisement and maybe get our team a discount on meat from the butcher or a bank to pay some towards the application fees..... Maybe just a thought

I wish you the best of luck, but don't assume after you do a comp or two that sponsors will be knocking on your tent!

It takes more than a few comps for anyone, sponsors included to be impressed. Think about how much talent is out there now. Lots of great cooks. Now if you win say 50% of what you entered, there are still better options for money investors to be aligned with. As said it's a co-partner relationship. I would focus on getting worthy of someone's help before spending their money. Steve.

We are going into our 2nd season of competing and have gotten a couple small sponsors. My wife works at a liquor store and they supply the banners and we put their name on it. I also have a customer that has a honey farm and he donates us honey for the season. Not big sponsors but it is something.

What do you have to offer? Are you going to do 20-30 contest a year or really large contest. I know teams that never win gc and have many sponsors. Be a salesman.

We approach the sponsorship idea from the perspective of not being dependent on them.. This is our first full year and we have been successful with partnering with a few sponsors and have also had some luck so far on the circuit.

I'm a strong believer in supporting something you believe in, those are the banners/products you will see us promoting.

We don't do a lot of comps, 2 maybe 3 a year. Traveling is hard, teammates have families etc.

But we are sponsored by our local butcher. And yes. It is a 2 way street. He gives us all we need meat wise for the comp, even kicks in some sides and some incidentals to cook and hand out on saturday when people are walking around being nosey. In return occasionally I cook for his store. Which works well for me, it gives me exposure for catering jobs, he sells the meat, I do the cooking and we both make a profit and I don't have to carry my own insurance, food handlers certificate, etc. .

It opened up a lot of work for me, any BBQ that someone comes in and wants done, he gives it right to me. I spend the money on the charcoal, I make the rub at the butcher. On top of sponsoring us, the semi weekly cooking gig has worked out to a barter system. I'm a local celebrity now, and don't have to pay for dinner when I want a nice steak or something else.

This year we also picked up an egg dealer who is lending us an egg to cook on and giving us all the charcoal and smoke wood we need. In return, all she wants is additional exposure for her store. Really, monetarily all she's laying out is for the cost of her transportation of the egg and a few bags of charcoal at most.

It's a very expensive hobby, even if you only do it a few times a year. I would never expect someone to fund the entrance fee. If our team wins, whoever helps cook that weekend, after our costs are covered, splits the pot. If a sponsor gave us the entrance fee and money for incidentals i'd feel obligated to hand over at least some of the winnings.

We are going into our 2nd season of competing and have gotten a couple small sponsors. My wife works at a liquor store and they supply the banners and we put their name on it. I also have a customer that has a honey farm and he donates us honey for the season. Not big sponsors but it is something.

that's kinda what I'm talking about as far as "sponsors." Maybe sponsors isn't the right word... I'm not expecting anyone to just throw money at us but I was thinking about seeing if the butcher shop would give me a good discount if we put their logo on the banner. Basically just some people I know in buisness that might wanna contribute some...

We don't do a lot of comps, 2 maybe 3 a year. Traveling is hard, teammates have families etc.

But we are sponsored by our local butcher. And yes. It is a 2 way street. He gives us all we need meat wise for the comp, even kicks in some sides and some incidentals to cook and hand out on saturday when people are walking around being nosey. In return occasionally I cook for his store. Which works well for me, it gives me exposure for catering jobs, he sells the meat, I do the cooking and we both make a profit and I don't have to carry my own insurance, food handlers certificate, etc. .

It opened up a lot of work for me, any BBQ that someone comes in and wants done, he gives it right to me. I spend the money on the charcoal, I make the rub at the butcher. On top of sponsoring us, the semi weekly cooking gig has worked out to a barter system. I'm a local celebrity now, and don't have to pay for dinner when I want a nice steak or something else.

This year we also picked up an egg dealer who is lending us an egg to cook on and giving us all the charcoal and smoke wood we need. In return, all she wants is additional exposure for her store. Really, monetarily all she's laying out is for the cost of her transportation of the egg and a few bags of charcoal at most.

It's a very expensive hobby, even if you only do it a few times a year. I would never expect someone to fund the entrance fee. If our team wins, whoever helps cook that weekend, after our costs are covered, splits the pot. If a sponsor gave us the entrance fee and money for incidentals i'd feel obligated to hand over at least some of the winnings.

I like what you are doing with the Egg dealer. That's a win win for both of you. It is an expensive hobby. and for me its worth it to spend a couple of hundred for each comp (split 3 or 4 ways) but some of the guys I cook with aren't as passionate about BBQ and they are really just helpers and there for a good time... so I worry about being able to keep them on for the following years since the more comps you do the more $ you spend.

I dont think that you need to win a lot of contests or even compete at a lot of contests to get sponsors. You will have to sell yourself and your team and accept that a lot of people are going to say no.

Do think that cooking for a year will probably let you know if you want to cook more and what you are capable of. It will also give you an idea of what is involved in cooking the contest and then you can decide if at 3:30 on saturday you can still have your game face on when people start asking about your banner.

What you dont want to do is get sponsored by your local butcher, cook some local comps and that it get back that at 2pm on saturday cooking didnt go your way and you were in no mood to speak highly of your sponsor, or that friday night you couldnt keep the beer out of your hand.

Then balance that with the fact that getting $1/pound off on your meat bill helps, but it is worth the hassle and added work.

I cant believe you forgot to mention your other sponsor who also happens to be one of my favorite sponsors :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

Our team has been blessed to have more then a few great businesses helping us out including Parts Guys father who is also his team mate. We usually take whatever is offered with just the promise to help promote their business as best we can . This year we are moving into an enclosed trailer which will be seen a lot locally and will be lettered like a race car trailer which after talking with one of the members of a top national competition team that travels more then they are hame.I may regret the signage on the trailer if we get the chance to travel much. We also cook for a local charity or two and usually the banners end up in the local paper and also at the end of the year we take out an ad in the local paper thanking all of them with their names listed.OH yeah dont forget that the sponsorships right along with any winnings need to be shaered with the tax man. Years ago one of my race car sponsors got audited and as a result the IRS also checked the returns of all the folks they showed sponsorships for their business to make sure we all claimed it . thanks to the accountant for keeping me out of trouble. :becky:

Agreed on the two way street. We have a couple of large sponsors and a vast portion is about exposure. I am a bit out of the norm meaning I not only compete ( less these days due to availability , location and organizers drama ) but by being a head chef to two large company's means I bring exposure off and on the field for products that others don't have access to. As for markets again a bit out of the norm being a member of the international team traveling the world and opening new doors for Q related products means a wider audience for potential backers.

In the beginning it was nice to have a brand name on the banner but now it's, ''here's what I can do for you, what will you do to help me get it there?''

Doc

Most sponsors want basically three things:
  1. Exposure to their target market
  2. Bragging rights for promotions (i.e. Look! Our meats took Grand Champion)
  3. Good representation of their company
So, you need to evalutate yourself and think about what you have to offer, and look for business that are a good fit for you. For example, if you are a far-travelling, hard-partying outfit, a local butcher probably isn't going to be very interested in you. Conversely, if you stick to a few local charity events you won't be likely to gain sponsorship from a national charcoal manufacturer.

As others have mentioned, the bigger the deal, the bigger the payback. Our team tailors the contract to the needs of each company AND the financial value of their sponsorship. The higher the value, the more will be expected of you. Only you can decide if you are ready to work tradeshows, do demos, cater for employees and customers etc. These are the sort of things that are expected when a big check is being written. For in-kind sponsorships where no cash is changing hands, entry to a yearly sponsors party or open invite to hang out at contests on Friday night could be sufficient.

Taking on large sponsors definitely lightens the financial load, but it may also complicate your taxes and you will have to jump when the man who writes the checks asks you to.

He gives us all we need meat wise for the comp, even kicks in some sides and some incidentals to cook and hand out on saturday when people are walking around being nosey.

Be careful when handing out food to the general public at a contest. It can piss off vendors who paid the organizer to be there and vend and you can get your ass in hot water with the local board of health. Yes, the Board of Health does show up at these contests. We had them visit our site at the last Grill Kings, the 1st Sayville BOTBB and during the PAL BOTBB contest. Thank God we had our chit together.

Is that something to do with cooking food for people and not being serv safe certified and not having a permit etc.?

I've read this in other places... something like you won't be allowed back and can be disqualified for handing out food.

I would never just leave out samples for the general public. However If someone's legitimately interested, spends the time to come and talk with us, I usually have something on the cooker ready to eat, I'm a hungry guy:wink:

Oddly enough I just registered for a comp that gives a $20 discount if you WILL give out samples ....crazy

Back