When prepping a butt do I ...

When I've injected I've done that first.

Greetings,

I have only injected once (and it was a brisket), but after the fact, I thought I should rub, wrap, THEN inject (My GOD that sounds dirty!!):tape:!

By wrapping before injecting, the cling-wrap COULD help to keep the injection juice in place? Maybe I'll re-wrap after injecting. (Holy cow....I cannot find any way to write this and NOT sound like a farking pervert!) :tape:

Little Dick

I inject, wrap and place in fridge overnight. Next morning unwrap pat with paper towel and then do the rub. I then place it in the prepped UDS.

No wrong way, really, but most inject then rub. Some inject and set overnight. I (we) do it about an hour or two before the meat is put on the smoker. If you're using salt (ie. extra salt like in Lilly's injection) I highly suggest NOT allowing it to sit overnight, unless you like really salty meat.

If the Butts are in cyro-wrappedI leave them in this and inject through the wrapping. This works well to keep the injection in place. Then after opening them up, Rub...

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1867623 said:
If the Butts are in cyro-wrappedI leave them in this and inject through the wrapping. This works well to keep the injection in place. Then after opening them up, Rub...
Thats some good thinking right there:thumb:

I saw a video recently of someone who did just that. Took the clear wrap and just plunged the injector right into the butt and pushed in some liquid smoke. The thought never occured to me to do this prior to removing it and washing it off.
Great that we all do some things a little differently.

Greetings,

I have only injected once (and it was a brisket), but after the fact, I thought I should rub, wrap, THEN inject (My GOD that sounds dirty!!):tape:!

By wrapping before injecting, the cling-wrap COULD help to keep the injection juice in place? Maybe I'll re-wrap after injecting. (Holy cow....I cannot find any way to write this and NOT sound like a farking pervert!) :tape:

Little Dick

Coming from someone named "Little Dick" ... hhhmmmm

And that was kind of why I worded it the way I did

The injection does have some salt in it. Should I just inject early in the morning and throw it back in the fridge or leave it out with the injection in?

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1867623 said:

x2, me too

I used to monkey with all kinds of stuff, injectors and the like. It's now whittled down to this: Rub the exterior with generous amounts of quality mustard AND dry rub together 1/2 hour before cooking. Put 'em in the cooker for the low and slow @ 225° minimum of 15 hours, better if 20 hours. Lets the long slow cook combined with quality meat makes it's flavor. We thought injecting the butts made them TOO moist (can you imagine?)
Pic: Boston Butt like we like it!

Last edited:
Back