another cooker ??

T

tumpedover

I didn't want to hijack the othe cooker thread here so I'll post my own:wink:
I have a Smokemaster,which as you know, will more than hold all the meat I need to cook for my 1st. comp in Odessa (Brisket, spare ribs,and 1/2 chicken).
My question is what are your opinions as to whether I should bring my barrel smoker to do my chicken and possible my ribs?? Is it a smart thing to be able to cook the faster cooking meats on the smaller pit and let the brisket ride alone, or will it matter since my brisket will be done before the other two??? Just wonderng what the overall opinion was ?!

If you've got the space to cook on one, and you expect the brisket to be off before the ribs/chicken, I don't see any real added value in bringing the barrel unless you desire to cookt he ribs and chicken at different temperatures or use different smoking woods.

Good Luck !!

The EZ BBQ BUNCH cooks it all on one pit. You'll see teams cookin' each meat in different cookers, in two or in just one. Whatever you think works best is the way to go. Good Luck!

Easy to crisp up chicken on drum. I say if you have room bring it. Not a bad thing to have options.

At our first and only comp we took three different smokers even though we could have cooked everything in one. It turned into a lot of unneccessary work. Next go round we are cutting down to one or at the most two.

Do what you feel you need to do for your first comp. Load up everything you feel you will need to do the contest. By now you have your check list from the practice cooks in your driveway. Once you do your first few comps, you will begin to pair things back. So bring the second cooker if you feel safe having it around "just in case"
Now that I said that, don't bring it if you have not done several runs on it and are comfortable using both. We brought our WSM to our first comp along with our Backwoods and while I did many things wrong, firing up the WSM and doing the chicken and ribs on them as suggested by a more experienced team. I just didn't have enough experience doing either to cook a comp on it.
Just my 2 cents brother.

THanks guys all good advice....Norco ,that was my reason for wanting to bring it the first place..
But, I think I'm gonna opt out on the drum at this point...it seems like just too much for my first comp anyway....I thought if everyone chiumed in and said yes then I'd do it bu, it seems the consensus is the same as my thoughts.....just too much ......for my first comp anyway.....:roll:
I do however think that I'll begin practicing using both just to see if I can fit it in in the future....The drum just really does do well on the chicken skin!:mrgreen:

My first comp I did everything on one cooker. I was cramped for space.

My second comp I brought three.

Pitmaster #1- Used to cook supper then the brisket & butt.
Pitmaster #2- Used to cook the ribs.
ECB- Used to cook breakfast and chicken.

It was a little more work but for me it worked out better.

Bring the Drum and use it to store the briqs or lump, tools, chimney etc. It might just come in handy in a pinch. Make a small charcoal ring for it too.

Brian

It is quite interesting to see just what cookers are used by the other teams at a comp. No matter what their primary cooker is, many teams have a WSM and a Weber Kettle along for the ride. Must be some reason for that.

That being said, I bet a lot of them didn't do their first comp with that many cookers.

Bring the Drum and use it to store the briqs or lump, tools, chimney etc. It might just come in handy in a pinch. Make a small charcoal ring for it too.

Brian[/quote

Ok, maybe the tides are changing here.....seems the opinions are pretty split at this point ! maybe this should be a poll as well! :mrgreen:

Brian, what sort of charcoal ring are you talking about?? Are you talkin' a charcoal basket or something else?

If you have the room to take it, take it along. You never know when you might need a back-up.

Our first comp, we had 5 cookers. Now we cook on 4. I cook on the UDS and everyone else uses WSM's. But we're a little different because each one of us cooks a diferent meat.

When I get off my but and enter a comp, I'll take both the Klose and the BGE. Maybe a Weber grill also. I just need to find a safe way to transport the egg.

Brian[/quote

Ok, maybe the tides are changing here.....seems the opinions are pretty split at this point ! maybe this should be a poll as well! :mrgreen:

Brian, what sort of charcoal ring are you talking about?? Are you talkin' a charcoal basket or something else?

John-I've been playing around with the small charcoal ring to do shorter cooks when I just gotta have that Drum flavor. Been doing whole birds, wings/drums in racks, thighs, and salmon.
100_1646.jpg

100_1645.jpg

100_1717.jpg

100_1718.jpg

I was thinking I was going to compete with a WSM and a couple of drums and a kettle, but the small ring is working out great.
Brian

Back