What if I only have room for one trailer?

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I guess this is the place to ask, but I am also thinking about competition Q, and am looking for advice. I have just about settled on a Spicewine medium cooker, and if needed a WSM. I guess my thinking is that I will only have enough room in my garage to have one trailer, and it would have to work with both my landscaping and Q equipment (Redneck Modular Mod!). Also, as I have no experience in competition cooking, I would really appreciate some tips as to getting started on the right foot.
Thanks,
Noah

Noah,

You are on the right track for the least expensive way to get into this thing called competition. Multiple cookers can be a benefit but aren't necessary to get into a cook off. Same with multiple woods, etc. some do it but most have one blend they use for all the meats.

Spice's cookers have good solid wheels so if you got the ramp go for it. Some teams cook tons of food - but most do 12-18 pieces of chicken, 3-6 racks of ribs, 2 pork butts, and 1-2 brisket. Tim and I throw a couple of fatties in for breakfast but we don't cook for a mob.

We have plenty of "left overs" to pack up to take home.

So, what I'm saying is: the medium Spice cooker will probably do it for you. If not, get a WSM to round out your artillery.

Just my $.02.

Noah,
The best way to decide on cookers (or competing) is to go to competetions first!
Hook up with a team (best) or just go and learn what you can from those who will talk to you. Do not beleive everything you hear--put it all together for yourself.
Fantastic variety out there and one will be right for you :lol:
Come on up to Dilllard Ga in Aug. We will be there as will Willie T (Dixie Smokers) and Kevin (HomeBBQ). Maybe some other Brothers as well.

The guys can point you in the right direction both on smoker selection and on how to get started without repeating our mistakes :lol:

But, you just need to "go" to get started.

Just my nickle.

TIM

Noah, I couldn't agree with Tim more. Get to a contest and see what it is all about. Q folk in general are the friendliest, most helpful people you'll ever meat. You'll get a good feel for what an event is like, then you can do a contest cook or two in the driveway. Write down everything you have to go to the kitchen for so you'll have it when you pack, and adjust your start times at home when it doesn't count.
When you enter your first event, remember its nice to place but its a real waste of money and time to go and not enjoy the comraderie of other Q afflicted folks. There's my nickle, between Tim and I ya got a dime!!

Q folk in general are the friendliest, most helpful people you'll ever meat.

Pun intended.

A buddy of mine had the same problem you did. Too many toys and not enough room in the garage. He was starting up his own catering business at the time and was going to get a mini-storage place and I jokingly made the suggestion, "too bad he's not into BBQ, you could just work off your rent". He went to the guy, made him a proposition to do a yearly picnic for him and his employees (he also had a car dealership) and now, after two years of this arrangement, everybody's happy.

As far as learning how to do competitions, I did Memphis in May competitions for several years but that was over 10 years ago. A lot of the stories I tell center around those days cause we were greener than a toad frog and learning all kinds of stuff. What people have said about the folks at competitions is true. You won't meet a finer bunch of people. I think I've figured out that I would rather do the KCBS competitions, though. That's one of the reason's I'm going to this Judging Class this Saturday. I want to learn a little bit more about how to compete KCBS style and I can't figure out a better way than to become a judge and then go to some competitions.

I will be at the Dillard Q this fall, and look forward to meeting some of you. I am not going to do anything very fast, except to enjoy the season and learn what I can. I plan on really becoming serious in 2006, but if I do not set goals, I will never accomplish anything. Also, I would not be as interested if I had not met so many nice people in this industry. Again, thanks for your help.
Noah

I think the problem lies in not having enough garage space. You NEED 2 trailers. One for work and one for play. You apparently live in a place that doesn't allow you to park a trailer outside?

nmayeux said:
I will be at the Dillard Q this fall, and look forward to meeting some of you. I am not going to do anything very fast, except to enjoy the season and learn what I can. I plan on really becoming serious in 2006, but if I do not set goals, I will never accomplish anything. Also, I would not be as interested if I had not met so many nice people in this industry. Again, thanks for your help.
Noah
Noah, Great Decision :lol:
David and I can not show you how to win--but we can darn sure show you what is needed to dominate the middle of the pack in any level of competetion :oops: :oops: :oops:
Let me talk to Chad a bit and we will get together via email to make Dillard a good experience for you!
Also--find the first KCBS and/or FBA judging class within reach and get signed up! The class is a good start but you have to go Judge some to really see what kinds of Que is out there :lol:
Then it is up to you to produce a winning product.
I really wish I had done the Judging thing first--would have saved me a lot of time, $$, and frustration :twisted:
Looking forward to meeting you!
TIM

parrothead said:
I think the problem lies in not having enough garage space. You NEED 2 trailers. One for work and one for play. You apparently live in a place that doesn't allow you to park a trailer outside?

Its not that I can not park anything outside, but I am one of those individuals that believes in taking care of stuff (Probably to a fault!!). If I spend a lot of money on something, such as landscape or Q equipment, it needs to last. If you asked my wife, she would say my biggest fault is that I try to make everything last forever! Now that doesn't mean that I am afraid to use my stuff, to the contrary, but I do like to keep things nice. As far as space, I will not be doing this on my own, but I do like to know all aspect of what I'm getting my self into. I cannot afford to buy a second trailer, and then let it set idle except for the few weekend of competition. Also, what I use for competition, I will use at home as well. I like the Spicewine or Stubbs cookers because they seem to be well built, cook well, and can be used in several situations. Also, these types of cookers are compact, as well as look good. However, I will not spend the money until I see them in action, and how they hold up after much use. I have by no means decided anything. You must realize that cooking is my hobby, and that although I will shoot for the stars, to "dominate the middle of the pack" would suit me fine. The input that y'all have given me has made quite an impression, and that is why I continue to ask for advice. Also, I would like to thank Tim for the suggestion of the Judging class, as that would give a great perspective. I look forward to meeting and eating with all of you!! Oh, and don't forget having a beer!
Thanks,
Noah

kapndsl said:
Noah,
The best way to decide on cookers (or competing) is to go to competetions first!
Hook up with a team (best) or just go and learn what you can from those who will talk to you. Do not beleive everything you hear--put it all together for yourself.
Fantastic variety out there and one will be right for you :lol:
Come on up to Dilllard Ga in Aug. We will be there as will Willie T (Dixie Smokers) and Kevin (HomeBBQ). Maybe some other Brothers as well.

The guys can point you in the right direction both on smoker selection and on how to get started without repeating our mistakes :lol:

But, you just need to "go" to get started.

Just my nickle.

TIM
Come on up ! You'll get a double whammy on constistancy of middle of the pack. :D .Its a blast(The only way a married man can stay out all night and party with the boys)!!! :D

I got some kin folks in your neck of woods.In Woodstock(Ga.).I was born at Cobb County General.So I'm a Georgia cracker too. :D Raised in the good ole SC since the age of two.

Tim,
Have you signed up for Dillard yet??I haven't :shock: I heard they have less than twenty spots left.I better get on the ball.

Willy T.

Tim,
Have you signed up for Dillard yet??I haven't I heard they have less than twenty spots left.I better get on the ball.

Our check has been in the mail about a week! :D

Guys,
Can't wait to finally meet some of you, and Willy T., I live about 5 miles from Cobb General. Y'all bring the smoke, and I'll bring the beer (High end of the middle of the pack!). As we get closer, I'll be in touch.
Thanks again,
Noah

Back