thinking of jumping in blind

rehab6

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
They say 15 grand and 15 miles don't make you a biker, and the same phrase suits competition bbq. I was in one competition several years ago, by myself, using a pit i found in an ally at the last minute, and got addicted. Now that my rig is finally finished (mostly) i can get back into it, which is why i have built the monstrosity to begin with. I have no idea how many competitions i will be able to make it to, with going thru medic class it can get a bit tricky, and it is way late in the year, but, i am seriously contemplating registering a team name with KCBS and screaming, "you only live once, and let the smoke roll on!!!" I have seen the cost to register individual with KCBS, but not able to find cost for a team, and also curious what other things i should look into.

please note, yes, i know it is somewhat insane an idea, but seems like the thing to do. any suggestions for a newbie in way over his head with a crew of... well, me, a pit, and a mad love for slow cooking? I figure i might as well get into it and follow a dream

Jump in and do it. The best way to learn is just do it. I jumped in 4 years ago blind and havent regretted it since. You register you and your team name with KCBS so there is only one fee for that. As far as doing it by yourself there are lots of teams that do it on their own. I started on my own for the most part with help from my wife doing the boxes and running the boxes for me. Most important thing is just have fun. Ask around there are always people looking to help out. You never know you may find a teammate. Anything I can do to help just ask away (however there are others here with far more knowledge then I have).

Andy

Well, you have done it before, so things won't be a total shock to you.
I spectated at a couple of comps before I did my own, but that's me.
As far as registering a team name with KCBS, I never did. Was I sposed to?

Good luck.

As far as registering a team name with KCBS, I never did. Was I sposed to?

Originally, if you were in a contest and used your KCBS member number to register, your team name got automatically registered and you were associated with the team. You didn't have to register the team name.

Now the kcbs.us website has a team registry to make things a little more straightforward. If you have a name you want to reserve, you can register it there as long as you are a KCBS member. You can also look up your team name on there to see who KCBS thinks is associated with the team.

There is no team registration fee. It's all driven by membership registrations.

Thanks Chris.
I am not a KCBS member, but I doubt anyone is going to use my team name, so it's all good.

go for it win, loose or draw it is the fun and the friends you make along the way, I love it, do the reg with KCBS, you will get the bull sheet that will list events coming up so you can plan plus they have some... cool online tools to use also check out the pickled pigs site they have some good info for a virgin, and good luck on the paramedic class been there done that, yea it sucked, especially the re-certs

You can always help out a team and get an idea on what goes on. Startin the fire is a great book i have read through it twice

Well, here it goes.... I am entered in my first contest with the new smoker. going to do chicken, also first time selling it for tickets with two sides at a local gig on friday. i am going to see if i can just enter ribs as well for judging. i figure i have no hope of winning, but simply having fun with it. going to do 3 of 4 sauce types for the wings. its just a local thing, but what the heck

good luck on the comp, do you have pics of your rig? Love to see em.

Man I was thinking of starting comps with a couple of UDS's and this man has a fire engine for a smoker. Rehab you definitely have a better start than I do.

I too am a lone wolf that has gotten bit by the BBQ bug.
I live in Louisvilel,Ky not to far from you Rehab.

I will PM you my email address, we might have to join forces.

Back