Versus All Star BBQ Showdown

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I think this a comp related question. Have any of you seen the season one Versus All Star BBQ Showdown? I found it for sale but I can find a listing of who is actually on the show except for "celebrity" judge Daryl Hawkins. Who are the competetors? Is it as good as the season 2 (OLN?) disk that has Mike Davis, Myron Mixon et al. on it?

The two competitions are REALLY different.
I own both sets.
Mike Davis and Mike Wozniak are two of the competitors in the second. Let's see who else is in that one...Johnny Trigg, the Twin Oaks guy.

In the All Star season, they had 6 first round compeitons. In each one there was three competitions. The champion, challenger, and the wild card. They had two semifinal rounds and then a championship. I picked up more tips in this one than the one before. They each had to cook three items in each contest. the last item was usually some sort of fish that the competitors had to kill then cook.

I believe fellow Brethren Dr. BBQ is in both of them. Maybe Ray can give us his thoughts on the Showdowns?

Ottie
The Flying Burritos

i just bought both sets. they are two diferent formts but both are pretty entertaining. beats the heck out of food tv reruns. i wish versus would start that up again.

Bought both sets last year... still enjoy them.

An interesting aspect to the cook-offs... a "3 different cooker" situation...
1. The Cook's own smoker for the "primary"
2. Using a different smoker supplied by the competition (neat to watch with different equip.)
3. ... and a "catch and kill" Iron Chef type.

Its definitely not predictable.

Get them both...you will enjoy each of them. Also...I think you mentioned that you have seen "Season 2," but that series actually aired first (on OLN). The "Season 1" series aired after the Network changed its names to VS. but it came out on DVD first. Either way, they are both entertaining and worth the 10 bucks for sure. You get 2 discs for the VS. version.

You also asked about judges...in addition to Chocolate Thunder, there was an actress who is probably best known for being in a movie with Larry the Cable Guy (can't recall her name and I never saw the movie - so no help there either), and a French Chef who was pretty good, I guess.

I prefer the judges in the first series and I also thought the hosts were better in the first go round. It seemed like having a guy like Chris Lilly as a host helped to lend some credibility to the show and his co-host, Peggy Bunker, was attractive, smart and very good on camera. I have seem her in similar duties on other shows since and she is just as good. The hosts in the second series seem to always ask the same questions and really brought nothing to the show. The judges in the second series were probably more entertaining, the judges in the first show were a little rough at times - but they were real competition BBQ judges too. Actually, I thought the best judges were the cooks in the final episode of the first series in NYC. Myron, Bart and espescially fast Eddy were thorough and made the best comments.

There is a lot to look at on these shows and you can learn a lot. Buy them and watch them a lot. You'll see a lot of stuff in the second or third time around that you might not have caught the first time.

This kind of turned into a review...but once I started typing, I couldn't stop. Sorry for such a long response.

We have both seasons and they are really entertaining to watch. The interaction between the competitors is easily worth the price of purchase!

I think this a comp related question. Have any of you seen the season one Versus All Star BBQ Showdown? I found it for sale but I can find a listing of who is actually on the show except for "celebrity" judge Daryl Hawkins. Who are the competetors? Is it as good as the season 2 (OLN?) disk that has Mike Davis, Myron Mixon et al. on it?

Jack McDavid, Lee Ann Whippen, Dr. BBQ, can't remember the rest.

I just got both series and have watched the first one... I really enjoyed it and my daughter actually sat there watching the final round with me. In fact her comment on the eel was "why doesn't she just kill it?" (And I used to worry that she couldn't take care of herself... lol)

Back