Late B-Day present

ThChrMn

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a buddy that just gifted me this S-n-P Brinkman. (He didn’t know better.)

Yep, I went home one day and he told me to look in my garage! What a big heart this guy has, huh?

So, I put her together, rubbed it with veg. oil and now I’m curing this beast!

Can some of my brethren point me to some mods?

DSC02342.jpg

I have that exact smoker...difficult to maintain temps but not impossible to cook on. Toss that warmer rack it will get in the way of lowering the exhaust stack to grate level. Turn the charcoal tray upside down to act as a baffle, I ran mine high on the left (to cover the fire inlet hole) and a tad bit lower on the right. You will need a charcoal basket for sure and moving/welding blankets to cover it with during burns helps a lot. Do all the normal off set mods and you can turn out some good food...it will just take a bit of work. Here is mine labor day of 2006. I use it as a charcoal grill now as the Hondo is much thicker and holds temps easier. Good luck, and have fun!

laborday2006__8_289.jpg

Last edited:
Chunk the fire grate and make a basket oughta expanded metal - and get a good thermometer.

I found these pics and want to try them. I'll make a basket and shield the opening between the fire box and main chamber.
DadsPictures027.jpg

DadsPictures085.jpg

DadsPictures090.jpg

Yep those mods will make all the difference in the world, especially the basket. try to keep the lid closed as much as possible because with the clam shell design as soon as its open the heat is gone.

You have a great buddy! Guess you better invite him over for some Q and Brews huh! :mrgreen:

James.

You know it! An excuse to drink beer is what smoking and grilling is all about.

I did some of the the mods shown in post #5.
The baff. plate works great. Just be careful that it soes not go down to far as it will mess up your air flow. The tuning plates are OK. Most of the time I don't think they are needed on a cooker of this size.

Good luck with your new SNP

BBQ Mafia,

What do you mean by "does not go down to far"? I was going to copy what you have done in the pics. Would you recommend a change?

Back